Travertine question. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Travertine question.

La_Floors
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello all.... i have about 400 ft of beige colored travertine to install and the customer wants charcoal black grout. Im a little scared that its going to stain the tile and ruin the job. Am i just being paranoid or will this some how work? if so, how do i need to keep from ruining this floor? I know it needs to be sealed before i grout but is that enough? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-26-2008, 07:12 PM
beige Travertine with black grout ? :sick:

is it honed or unfilled ?

I would try sealing a sample piece with a few coats and rub the grout all over it.
its going to get into the pits no matter what.

La_Floors
02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah i know..... i have installed plenty of travertine but never with black grout. It has pits all over it so i know there is no way to keep it out of those holes but im worried that it might stain the whole tile black before its over....its very porus..(what a nightmare) ..im trying to pull her a different direction on the grout color but i hate doing that.

conceptsplus
02-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I'd tell him to pick a different color or sign a liability waiver.
Pencil lead can be hard to remove from travertine sometimes(honed or not!)

ceramictec
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I would just tell her black grout isn't doable with that type of stone.... simple.

La_Floors
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Thats what i was thinking but i thought maybe you all knew something i didnt.
I think ill tell her to get someone else if she just HAS to have that color.

GenoBotacino
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's what I would do! Tell her the boat that was bringing the grout shipment over from Italy capsized and all the overseas containers are at the bottom of the ocean and it wil be 4-6 months before they can pull them up and go through customs :lol1:

But on a serious note, Install all that travertine and match up a grout color with it. This is going to take more time but it'll work grout up all the tiles but not the joints!!! Then seal it all up with 511 pourus plus (miracle) 3-4 times. Then go in and put that nasty black grout in that beautifull stone.

ccarlisle
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow...if in doubt, we use white thinset instead of grey to install travertine just in case the travertine we're installing is such that the colour bleeds through...doesn't oftern do so but why risk it?

I'd do a mock-up of about 4- tiles with the black grout to see, then have her sign an iron-tight disclaimer.