walls meet floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : walls meet floor

dirtygirl
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
help! i have a shower stall with tiled walls and floor. there is no grout between the floor and walls. the installer used caulk and it keeps peeling off. the builder keeps sending him back to replace it but i have tiled floors, not walls, before and don't think this is the correct way for the two to meet. who is correct. i want to do it myself. should i grout it and seal or caulk it or what.

Sponsored Links

Maack
02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
well,

caulk won't stick to wet surfaces, and caulk doesnt adhere well to damp surfaces either. Are you allowing the shower caulk area to REALLY REALLY dry out before it gets recaulked?
I would pull the old stuff out, run a hair dryer on it for several minutes, then let it sit for a day with a lil fan blowing on it, then hit it again with the hair dryer the next day..let it sit for 1 more day.
Next day,,caulk it and let that sit for 2 days, at least,

Good luck :) :) :)

Scooter
02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Or there is no preslope and moisture and water back up the slope and walls, forcing out the caulk.

John Bridge
02-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Either way, the joint has to be completely dry before the caulk is installed. Use silicone, not latex caulk. :)

If you do have a tiled floor in the shower, and it's done over a mud bed, it can take a long time to get the wall/floor joint dry. In that case I would clean all the old caulk out and grout the joint. :)

dirtygirl
02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
1 year old 4' X 6' shower, rubber membrane under tile, dried 1 week before recaulked each time by installer. I have completely removed all old caulk. Can I grout and then silicone caulk over grout? Don't mind overkill; just don't want to do again. Thanks

tileguytodd
02-27-2008, 04:40 AM
The reason for the caulking is the Change of Plane (floor to wall). Grout in these area's have a tendancy to crack. If you simply use asilicone OVER grout it will not have enough body to withstand much movement and both grout and caulk will fail.

If the caulking failed after only 1 year it was likely a very poor ( read cheap) Caulk.

Clean out the joint and FILL with your silicone...A Good Quality 100% Silicone will last many years.

I would reccomend using a Masking tape along both edges. fill joint with caulking and then tool the joint using the back of a small disposable plastic spoon ( like you get at a fast food joint) dip this is a small cup of water with a bit of dawn dishsoap mixed in.
use a smooth even pass for a good looking joint.........Carefully remove tape and dispose of.
Let dry 24 - 72 hours depending on caulking (read label)

Good Luck!!