uncured GE silicone caulk removal tips [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : uncured GE silicone caulk removal tips

pferrari
02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
HOME DEPOT strikes again I caulked a tiled tub/shower this weekend and was admiring my work this morning when i notice that some of the caulk looked wet. Sure enough some of it is, actually 90% of it is uncured, Damn! I go out to the trash and dig out the GE silicone caulk tube, and sure enough is has a "use by" date of 2/07.

It is my fault for not checking them before i used them. I bought 2 tubes one was old and one is okay. Guess which one i used first, that covered 90% of the job.

Thats the bad news, the good news is it is my house, better to learn a lesson my myself than a customer i guess, but dread removing this stuff.

Any tips on getting this crap off the tile, and out of the joints?

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
02-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Hello Ferrari,
Scrape up a glob of the uncured stuff and carry it back to the Home Despot store, along with the expired tube. Take it the store manager and show him your receipt, the expired tube and the still uncured silicone. Then demand a replacement tube AND a bottle of "Lift-Off Silicone Remover". Tell him it's for a client and if the client is happy, "YOU'LL Be BACK!". :D
Should work.
Shaughnn

ckl111
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
If it is uncured 100% silicone caulk, you can use acetone (nail polish remover) to clean up the silicone residue after scraping it off.