Shower cracked wall and floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower cracked wall and floor

Apexer
02-26-2008, 08:47 AM
The ceramic tiles in the shower were cracked along the bottom row of wall tiles and across 2 tiles on the floor. This was a hair-line crack that has not increased over the past few years. I believe it started with settling of the house when new. It is now 14 years old. I have removed the tiles. However, the cement backboard also broke out with the tiles. On the floor, there is a hairline crack in the cement base where the tiles were removed.

The backboard in the wall appears to be sheetrock in the first layer with cement board along the last 4-5 inches at the bottom. On top of this first layer, I believe it is cement board all the way down the wall. Before placing new tile on the wall, I need to replace the torn out cement board. How should I do this. In the close-up picture (in the center of the removed tile), there was no cement board in the first layer, leaving a gap. I do not know why this was left out!

Behind the one tile to the left of the corner, there is no stud. Will that be a problem placing cement board there?

On the floor, you can see that there is a hairline crack in the cement base with some moisture around it. Does this crack need fixed? Will the moisture be a problem with applying the thinset?

There are no leaks that I know of with the shower and I believe that there is no longer a problem with the house settling.

This is my first post. I have attached photos, but I do not see them in the preview. I am not sure I have done this correctly. Thanks

Sponsored Links

remodelboy
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't think that what you are showing can be "fixed". You might be able to patch it, but it will be an ongoing problem that might generate several other problems - like mold, fungus, rot, etc.

You should start thinking about having the shower replaced and probably by someone with a lot of experience. If you would like to study up and DIY, John Bridge has a really good book that could help you.

ccarlisle
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree. Sure, you can patch it with something, we can tell you "take x amount of tiles off" etc etc but in then end you'll be doing this all over again in about a year - but with added mould to contend with. And even though the crack may be stable, the tiles are not any longer. What you ideally would need is a continuous membrane covering the walls from above the water spray line to the floor pan. That involves taking down the wall (at a minimum) and putting in new floor pan.

A prefabricated pan may be called for here; I'd look into that approach and look for - hopefully - a pan that fits your dimension and has about a 4" depth so that the walls of the pan come up the wall to the level of your first course of tiles. Just a suggestion, as I can't tell how hight the first course is, but with a bit of luck, you should be able to get a decent job with that.

Take measurements of the floor and drain location and google that...then let us know.

conceptsplus
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Yep, this is a sidewall blowout!!
Sorry for your luck..