Tiling Slanted Wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling Slanted Wall

BLR
02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
We are tiling our shower in a converted attic. The top of the wall starting at about 6 feet is slanted at a little less than 45 degrees for another 2 feet or so. We were planning to tile this part with 6x6 ceramic tile. Do you think there will be any problems tiling this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi BLR,

I don't see anything wrong with tiling your ceiling if its on an angle.
a lot of flat ceilings get tiled, as long as you have up the proper tile backer board and or is water proofed you can tile it.
make sure your change of plains are caulked.

just don't use Mastic.

:)

BLR
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Great, thanks for the advice!

BLR
03-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I know this is probably covered in another post but I'm having trouble finding it. I've seen several posts (including this one) advising against using mastic but I can't find the reasons. What is wrong with using mastic on shower walls?

HotinOKC
03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Mastic tends to never cure fully and is not meant for wet installations. Mastic is only good for backsplashes.

Some people say they haven't had problems, others have said a week after installing "floor" tile, they can still pull it up.

ccarlisle
03-03-2008, 04:48 AM
I also believe "mastic" is an monomer/polymer emulsion; whether or not there is any "polymerization" that goes on in there, I'm not 100% sure - but it probably is an emulsion.

Emulsions are oils suspended in water and can be broken down into...you guessed it: water and oil. I have witnessed too much breakdown of mastic not to think this, and broken down mastic is just a gooey mess - no sticking power at all.

That's what they say mastic is good for dry conditions like backsplashes but not for constantly wet situations like showers. The emulsion breaks down and pop goes your tile.

Maack
03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
You can use Mastic on those ceiling tiles if you want to.
Just wear a construction hard hat ,football shoulder pads, steel toed boots , and a Kevlar chest protector every time you shower and you'll be fine.

:uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

BLR
03-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to understand what to look out for. This is our first bathroom tiling project, so I'm getting my feet wet, so to speak.

I have another question. We are going to put tile down on the floor hopefully this weekend. In your opinions, do we need to mortar the tile backerboard down to the subfloor before tiling over the backerboard or would screwing the backerboard down to the subfloor be OK?

Thanks again!

BLR
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry, in case it wasn't clear, we are tiling the bathroom floor, not the shower floor.

jason1083
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
mastic is not recommended for floors (at least not by anyone around here)
and there is a limit on the max tile size (4x4?).

Deckert
03-08-2008, 01:07 PM
do we need to mortar the tile backerboard down to the subfloor before tiling over the backerboard or would screwing the backerboard down to the subfloor be OK?

You need to do BOTH. Your backer needs to be set into thinset, then screwed down to your plywood.

BLR
03-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks, we are not using mastic! Thanks Deckert, that was what I was wondering--if we needed to do both or if screws alone would work. Sounds like we need to do the thinset.

BLR
03-15-2008, 09:34 AM
New question: some of the epoxy grout we used got into the no-slip tracks in our (vinyl coated) tub and we haven't been able to get it out. Called Aquamix and they recommended Nanoscrub, but I can't find it locally (St. Louis). Is there any other product like Nanoscub out there that is easier to find?

ccarlisle
03-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure nothing would "dissolve" it out, like water or acid might dissolve out a regular grout that hasn't set...epoxy grout is tough. I think mechanical means are best...scraping, chipping etc. Good luck! sorry...best I could think of.

BLR
03-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Charles. We had heard of one of the Aqua Mix products (I think it was hte stripper or something) that does attempt to "dissolve" out epoxy grout, but we were afraid it would dissolve the bathtub coating along with it. Think you might be right about buffing it out. . .