Kerdi questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi questions

golffing
02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm a general contractor doing kitchen and bath remodeling for the last 20 years.
I like to try new ways of doing things but I'm pretty anal about trying to know exactly what I'm doing before I start.

I normally use culture marble pans and than dens-shield the walls. ( I use metal window screen in the corners and at counter back splashes,never had 1 crack)

Anyway I'd like to try the kerdi but have a few questions.

I'm on slab, and was going to use the foam curb but I'm installing a glass block wall on top of curb so I'll use doubled up brick instead, was worried the wall would be to heavy.

Oh yah I bought the book! Very useful,did I say I was Anal?

1) If my dry mud pan is 1 1/2 at the kerdi drain with slope I'll have 3 1/2 at curb, is that enough?

2) I was going to build a plywood platform at the entrance(walk in shower), but after reading John's problems with wood at curbs had to rethink. Than was thinking of pouing a 32x42 slab up 3 3/4 to match brick? But I have supply lines I was going to run under the platform into a wall. How can I make a platform?

3) Set kerdi drain 1 1/2 off slab than dry pack around , than mud pan to that hight?

4) I also will need to install reinforcment pieces for the block wall into the top of curb will that be OK?

Thanks for any insight, Dave

Sponsored Links

muskymike
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Dave, welcome! If I do a Kerdi shower onna slab, I only have bout a 1/2" to 3/4" of mud at the drain which puts the perimeter at about an 1" to an 1 1/4". I use a shim and my fingers to mush the mud under the drain and pack it tight. Also use a slurry of thinset to bond the mud to the concrete. For the base you can use ply and wrap it all with drywall then wrap it with Kerdi. You shouldn't have to put any holes in the curb, tieing the GB wall to the wall will be plenty strong.