Chiclet's Powder Room [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Chiclet's Powder Room

Chiclet
02-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello all. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

I am going to try to redo my powder room, using DH for muscle only.

Here is where I am for my plan. Would you mind telling me if I am on the wrong track?

We have vinyl tile, probably in since '92 over a slab. We are planning on

1.removing the wood trim,
2.taking out the toilet,
3. scraping up the vinyl tile/adhesive

Somewhere in here I will be putting my 2x2 slate tile on mesh on the driveway to clean with plain water, allow to dry,then put newpapers or whatever underneath and seal it without letting the sealer go onto the sides of the tile (so as to allow adequate thinset/grout adherence)

4. put in thinset
5. put down Hardiboard (no screws or anything right?) And need tape to seal the seams with thinset. Do I have to run the tape up the wall/floor junction?
6. put down thinset
7. place my tiles 1/4 inch from the wall
8. place my marble threshold
8. wait
9. grout with sanded grout, wipe wipe wipe without taking grout out of joints.
10. silicone caulk wall/floor junction
11. Place toilet - will probably need a flange
12 replace trim

I had thought about leaving the vinyl tile and using a modified thinset and that Schluter orange product (D something) but, Lowe's did not know what I was talking about, they finally figured it out, and it was different brand and they did not have the Kerdi-band equivalent for the other brand for any seams or floor/wall junctions. That, combined with the general distaste you pros have for tiling over vinyl, I decided to take the hard way out.

So, what do you all think?

Michele

Sponsored Links

Jaz
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Michele, welcome,

BTW, it was my idea to spell my daughter's name with one "L" for which I am often reminded when she can't find any pre-printed novelties spelling "Michele" that way. So, you're special too! :D

1-3 is correct.

We do NOT install cement boards on concrete. Forget that. Ditra would be a good thing though.

If the floor is not flat, you'll need to fix it. Skipping to pre-grout prep. You may need to either pre-seal the slate and/or apply a grout release too? Depends on the quality of your stone. Sounds like you bought it from a big box store? That is NOT a compliment of them. It's probably some soft cheap Indian Slate that should have been left in the ground another million years or so?

Jaz

Chiclet
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Jaz. You have excellent taste in daughters names.

Well, the tile is a one square foot sheet of 2x2 slate. It was about $10.00 a sheet. I intend to seal it regardless of whether it really is cheap or not. What is grout release?

The floor is nice and flat as far as we can tell. So are you saying I can just put thinset right on the concrete and then the tile if I cannot find Ditra or a Ditra equivalent?

How does that effect our ability to tear out the slate in 15 years when it is dated and ugly again?

Chiclet
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
bump

Jaz
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Michele,

Most of the slate mosaics I've seen are better quality than the larger pieces on the market. Actually hosing them off might be a bot extreme? The water might release them from the mounting paper or mesh? I wouldn't do that, just wipe them with a damp sponge.

Being a small room with no cracks (?) maybe just thinset direct to the slab. I might not be easy for you to get a small amount of Ditra? Use a high quality modified thnset, some give a certain amount of crack isolation, maybe 1/16". What brands were you thinking of using?

Jaz

Chiclet
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for adopting me.

I purchased Lacticrete multipurpose thinset mortar.

The room is barely 20 sq ft.

In the meantime, one of by husband's friend's dad is a tile guy. He thought we would be okay doing thinset on the vinyl tile, letting it dry and then second layer in which to place the tile - a technique he used in his own basement two decades ago. Now it will be hard to convince DH to muscle up the vinyl!

Michele

Jaz
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Michele,

There are many thinset mortar that will stick to many types of resilient flooring. This includes VAT, VCT and non cushioned sheet goods, (6 ft. wide max), that is not the problem, the sticking part. The question is, will the vinyl you're covering stay stuck for the lifetime of ceramic tiles? If someone can guarantee it, or doesn't care what happens in 5 years or even sooner.....let them go over it.

For anyone to suggest you do as you described for a dinkey little room like that is, well, it's kinda un professional. Let your strong DH get started, how hard can it be, it's 20 sq. ft!

Jaz