I have so much respect for all of you skilled tilers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I have so much respect for all of you skilled tilers

Novice_Tiler
02-25-2008, 12:48 PM
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is now firmly rooted in my mind. I'm still in the middle of tiling my bathroom (a measly 36 sq feet or so) and have already made as many mistakes as a 20 year pro makes in a career.

I thought by reading up on this site I'd be able to handle my first tile job with no problems. Instead, I've already done the following:

1. Left luan installed on my subfloor. Looked like 1/4 inch plywood to me.

2. Started laying down backerboard without checking that the entire floor was on plane. It wasn't.

3. Twice mixed thinset for said backerboards "by feel" as I didn't want to spend the 8 bucks that a bathroom scale would cost. Hmm, a little too thin one time, a little too thick the other.

4. Marked all the perimeter tiles to be cut, but only allowed space for the grout line, not where the tile butts up to the wall.

5. Rented a wet saw for $12/hr and set it up in my garage. In Michigan. In the winter. Couldn't understand why the water wasn't flowing to the blade. Twelve bucks later finished melting the ice from the water line fitting with a blow torch. In fact, wherever the water touched metal on the saw it iced over. Lugged saw down to my basement and commenced cutting.

6. Discovered mistake #4 above the day after returning the saw.

I'm pretty sure once I start grouting I'll be able to come up with numbers 7, 8 ...

Jim

Sponsored Links

Jaz
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I bet we could reach 100 in no time? Yes, I've noticed it gets pretty breezy here this time of year.

Jaz

jim mclaughlin
02-25-2008, 04:04 PM
If it was easy...everyone would be doing it! I can't tell if you are upset or slightly amused at your predicament.

Depending on your finances ... you could do it over with renewed confidence and knowledge.

stonemason777
02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
We all need one another! Be it doctor, dentist, butcher ,baker and the candlestick maker. Makes the world go round. But I always admire a client thatis appreciative and understanding as well as empathetic to the toils of the trades.

Again - much appreciated.