shower wall tile problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower wall tile problem

slayer73
02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I am laying 2" tile (1' square sheets) on a shower wall and I have been having to put spacers in between all the tile to keep my gaps going. Is there a better way to do this or is that just the way it works? takes alot of time that is for sure.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Ryan, :)

If you are tiling over cement board you can use small nails under the first row or two on the sheet to suspend the sheet until the thin set takes hold. I usually start at the top of the wall, nail the first two sheets up and then suspend the lower ones with masking tape. If you started at the bottom, use the nails.

Also, you might try mixing your thin set really stiff and putting just enough on the wall to contact the tiles. Mush them into it and they might just stay put. Worth a try. :)

ccarlisle
02-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Make sure you are using the correct sized trowel, and make sure the thinset is stiff enough and not runny. Also, apply the thinset horizontally, not vertically and then brads or small nails, as John pointed out.