Sanded or unsanded [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sanded or unsanded

redred
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Just laid my first tile floor - HOORAY! Came out GREAT looking, so far. I intermixed 12" and 3" tiles from different manufacturers. As a result, the grout lines are not completely consistent. (And getting level was real fun, too.)

I'm pretty sure the stock routing is unsanded for less than 1/8" and sanded for over 1/8." Well, I have about 1/8" (or less) mostly, with some over and some under. Which is worse, using unsanded in the larger joints, or trying to stuff sanded into the narrower joints? My untutored inclination is that I need to go sanded and hope for the best in the narrow joints; but, I would like to go with all unsanded unless that will result in cracking from excess shrinkage. I doubt any place has more than 3/16". (I know it's tough to judge without actually seeing it.)

Is there a clear answer on this?

Red in DC

Sponsored Links

MudGuy
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Red -

From the description of your project, sanded is the plan.

maddfrog
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about having trouble working the sanded into the smaller joints. I had joints that sound a lot like yours on the first floor I did and I didn't have any trouble at all, even though a couple of the joints were less than 1/16". The sand is very fine...

MudMaker
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
another vote for sanded
:)

Saldibs
02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
If some of your joints are more than 1/8", then sanded is your only choice.

tilerite
02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, sanded for sure.

redred
02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks, all. On my way......

Red in DC