Florida outdoor covered entry re-tile advice needed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Florida outdoor covered entry re-tile advice needed

lpandrock
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi all...

well I wanted to run a few things by the experts as I am a novice to all of this but wanted to see if my DIY skills have evolved to your level

I am planning on re-tiling an entryway, that is covered, with some sort of natural stone Travertine. I had a few questions to see waht your thoughts are on the project.

1. do you see travertine being a viable substrate for this covered entryway? I live in the Tampa area and freezes are few and far between. I may get some rain blowing in on occasion but plan to seal the stone

2. If you see that travertine is a good option...would you say an acrylic type of cement to lay these down, with sanded grout since it will be outside?...also, what is a good sealer for stone?..I have used an inpregnator before in my showers and it works well

3. would you reccomend an underlayment of Schluter for this small area or just stick with the acrylic as an underlayment would not be needed?

4. if i buy a reasonably cheap tile wet saw will the blade be ok to cut travertine?

I know this seems like alot of questions but I want to get this right...any advice would be helpful..i am going to try to post a pic of the small outside entry..thanks so much guys

Lance

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
hey Lance,

from the size and color of the tile you have down now its either a ceramic, porcelain or paver, not Travertine.

Travertine is ok to install outside in our area, it is very soft and depending on the finish will show wear and scuffing from Florida's sand that is everywhere.

depending on how the tile was installed you can go over it if it is solid and attached.

using Shluter Ditra would be agood thing, but not neccesary on that small of a entranceway.

a modified thin set will work good and need whe installing Travertine.

most all wetsaws and blades will cut the soft Travertine stone.

use a stone sealer from Aquamix or Stonetech.

:)

lpandrock
02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Thx Brian.My intentions were to remove the existing tile and start on the slab

so acrylic is ok for the thinset?

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
what brand thin set were you planning to use ?

a premium grade, latex fortified thinset mortar will be fine.

lpandrock
02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
ok..thx brian..i was probably going to get the premix latex mortar at a big box store..any particular one for natural stone you would recoomend from lets say depot of lowes?

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
DO NOT USE A PREMIX !
they will take forever to dry and stay soft and probably not good for outside where water will get to it.

use a bagged powder mixed with water.

lpandrock
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
oh ok..i have used this stuff calles Bonsal before on tiny touch up apllications and the stuff is awesome in regards to adhesion.....I just get a bit anxious when i comes to mixing the right water to mix ratio for thin set

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
mix it like mashed potato's