Listello around an outside corner? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Listello around an outside corner?

rgulia
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone,
while tiling a bathroom with natural stone tile I am at the stage when the listello accent should be installed.

The listello will be installed with pencil rail above and under - so that it will form a nice decorative banner all around the room, continuing into the shower area.

But now I have come to realize that I have not just inside corners (those are easy!) but also 4 outside corners to tile - the corners at the end of the two walls which enclose the shower area :uhh:

Did anyone try this? How would you do it?

For two field tiles adjoining at the corner I have made 45 degree miter cuts - which worked very well. The same I can do for the pencil rails above and under the listello - but I doubt that I can make a 45 degrees cut into the listello .... which will end up in a very sloppy corner.

Needless to say - natural stone tile in this series do not come with bullnose or corner pieces so I have to invent something with listello, field tile or pencil rail.

Ideas anyone? Your suggestion will be highly valuable to me. This listello costs an arm an a leg for linear foot !

Thanks

-- Riccardo

Sponsored Links

Mike2
02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you can back-miter the field tiles and pencil liners, but not the listello tiles. Maybe tell us more about this "sloppy corner".

Can you do a partial back-miter, like this?

cx
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome, Riccardo. :)

What Mike said.

What is it about these trim tiles that keeps you from back-mitering the corners? Some raised design that you can't match at the corner, perhaps?

Can you post a photo of what you have? We like pichers. :)

rgulia
02-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey,
thank you for suggesting the partial miter cut. That could be a solution. :bow:

I have a picture of the listello below.

My difficulty with this listello is that is:
1) thick (3/8")
2) brittle (natural stone)
3) has a geometric pattern with 45 deg angles - due to the size of the blade, after the cut the two parts will never match side by side at the corner.

If I understand your advice, one I partial miter cut the listello, the grout will fill the corner, and that will mask the inevitable imperfection at the seam of the two listellos. Is that right?

I'll try a cut on my listello - hope I will not shred it into pieces. :uhh:

Thanks again

-- Riccardo

SteveVB
02-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I would square cut that at the corner you want with your saw, and then just grind the back cut on it on the bench-wrap it around the corner. That way it lies flat for both operations. The grout line will be wider than your saw kerf. I thought what you are saying is that you cant keep the pattern together through the saw.
The other way to do it is to remove the individual pieces and cut them one at a time and then install them one at a time- pita

If you laid it out so the darker diagonal tiles in that trim were at the corners you have it made.

johntrent
02-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Riccardo - you mention a pencil liner going with your listello. Is it going above & below your listello possibly? If so, you could wrap the listello with the liner - in effect boxing it in - instead of wrapping the corner. Then finish the outer corner with a pc of stone fabricated for a bullnose pc. Does that make any sense? Or is that not exactly what you are trying to accomplish?