Can I use nonvitreous tile in shower? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can I use nonvitreous tile in shower?

Marcia
02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I bought some cheap Menard's glossy white tile assuming they would be fine to install in our new shower. I hand glazed them to jazz them up a bit. I like the results. Here's the problem, last night I realized they are nonvitreous. Did I totally screw up or can I use these tiles for the shower wall if I use a water-resistant adhesive and grout?

Sponsored Links

Mike2
02-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Marcia, you can use them but... you may not care for the "look". Place a few tiles into a shallow pan. Add enough water to cover about half the thickness of the tile and let that sit for a day. It's likely your tiles will absorb some water and change color, becoming darker. Perhaps that will occur only around the edges. If any of this happens, ask yourself, can you live with that? The same effect will likely take place in your shower.

Marcia
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks Mike! I've started the water test you suggested and will see how they look tomorrow morning. Is there anything else I need to worry about down the line - like tiles falling off the wall or mildew or ??

Thanks again for your help!

Marcia

Mike2
02-25-2008, 08:46 AM
If in fact they are highly absorptive, then I suppose an argument could be made that an environment more conducive to mold growth exists. I don't have any personal experience of that, however. There will be no problems sticking them to the wall or floor using a good grade of thin-set.

Lets see what the outcome is of your water test. If they do absorb a lot of water, change color and you hate the look, anything else become rather moot, eh? :)

Marcia
02-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Okay - I checked the tiles this morning and they look fine. The only discoloration is on the unglazed back and sides which will not show. So -I'm okay with that.

I'm planning to use MAPEI Ultraflex 2 as a thinset and MAPEI Keracolor S for grout. Are these the right choices given the type of tile I'm using and the fact that this is for a shower?

Marcia

Mike2
02-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Marcia, Ultraflex 2 and Keracolor S are good choices.

Have fun with the project. :tup2: