Saltillo Help! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Saltillo Help!

solman
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi, I am doing a Mexican Kitchen and thinking of the Saltillos. But, the adjoining room will be much lower with the transition which I understand is HUGE for the requirements of setting Saltillos. I have 100 year old plank floor boards. I've been told that 1/4 inch plywood, mortar, Dietra membrane, mortar, Saltillo. That's at least 3/4 inch height.

Now i was just told about Dupont's Saltillo Laminate from Home Depot. Does anyone have any opinions on it? Would it be more comfortable to stand on?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
laminate ? :sick:

Mike2
02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Solman, 1/4" plywood won't cut it over that plank sub-flooring. For Saltillo, which I would consider having sub-floor requirements similar to natural stone, I'll say 1/2" ply minimum will be required over the planks, then Ditra.

What size joists do you have and how are they spanned and spaced? Enter the information required into the Deflecto tool you'll find towards the top of this page, then tell us the outcome.

I have no knowledge of, or experience with, Saltillo "laminate" flooring.

:)

ceramictec
02-24-2008, 11:24 PM
if you have a 100 year old plank floor I'm thinking your home is pretty old and has a lot of nice wood in it.
I would build up the floor to the right height to recieve the saltillo tile and se a fabricated wood sill as a transition at the tile end.