slate tile over corian back splash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : slate tile over corian back splash

mnemotorsports
02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey guys,

I have tiled a kitchen floor using cement backer and had no problems. I just moved into my new house and the kitchen is all white. white cabinets, corian countertop and back splash and again cabinets.

I purchased 4x4 multi color slate tiles and wanted to do the back splash.
Do I have to remove the corian or can i score it and tile directly to it? Either way what adhesive and grout do you reconmend for slate?
And is there a different method for cutting slate. I have a wet saw but have only used it on ceramic.

Thanks for all of the help.
Matt

Sponsored Links

Davy
02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Matt, welcome. I would remove the Corian, there should be sheetrock behind it that would be better to stick to.

The slate will cut just fine on your wet saw. Use a modified thinset like Versabond and a sanded grout. Most slates get a gray grout but go with what you like best. :)

mnemotorsports
02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Only problem with removing the backsplash is it goes behind the countertop. So I will probably have to remove that first. That is what I planned first then a friend suggested just tiling over it.

Thanks for your help. Anyone else have any experiance with tiling over corian.

MikeyL
02-26-2008, 10:35 PM
You may be able to rough up the Corian with a grinder or coarse grit sandpaper and get a decent surface for thinset.. I personally haven't tried it.....Bump.
Anybody?

MikeyL
02-27-2008, 04:37 PM
There was a post about tiling fiberglass a while back.
Might find something useful in it http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59505&highlight=boat

mnemotorsports
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I was able to remove the backsplash by lifting it off of the wall with a crowbar and hitting it was a hammer. crude but it worked great.

I already picked up the tiles and the sanded grout. I bought acrylpro adhesive. Is this any good. It says it sets porcelain, ceramic, marble and stone. If this is no good please let me know.

thanks again guys.

also for a diagnol pattern I was told I have to start in the middle of each wall and move out. I was going to start on one side and move out any advice.