Backsplash Questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Backsplash Questions

Drummz
02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I am getting ready to tile my first kitchen backsplash and wanted to make sure I do this correctly. I have 4"x4" porcelain tiles I am using with standard thinset. The tile will run into an 90 degree end wall at either end of the kitchen backsplash wall and be a typical layout between the countertop and the upper cabinets.

My question is about grouting and how to treat the edges where the tile meets the cabinets and end walls. I know you should leave about a 1/8" gap between the countertop and the lowest row of tiles but I haven't read anything as to the preferred way to do the tiles that come in contact with the upper cabinets and end walls.

I was thinking that I should also cut the tiles to leave a 1/8" gap at each end wall and at the bottom of each the cabinets as well to be filled with caulk similar to how it is done with the countertop. I would assume the grout would eventually crack over time if it was run right up to the cabinets and right up against the end walls.

Am I correct in thinking a 1/8" caulk line would be the best way to address these areas? What would those of you that are experienced typically do at these locations?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Davy
02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
I can't ever remember having a problem with grout cracking at the upper cabinet or corners. You can caulk it, sure won't hurt. The grout joint down against the countertop will usually crack and needs caulk for sure. :)

Jemcon
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I usually leave a gap around it and use a caulk that matches the grout. Any movement will crack it especially where the counter meets the wall.