"Dirty" Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : "Dirty" Grout

danesk
02-24-2008, 01:20 PM
We inherited kitchen counters with beautiful stone tiles. But the grout was originally white - contrary to John's excellent article suggesting using gray grout. Now much of our grout has turned this medium to dark gray and stays the same color even after brisk scrubbing with detergents. But some areas remain a much lighter color (those areas that never got quite as dirty). Is there a way to "blend" the "dirty" grout color throughout for a more unified appearance?

Thanks for providing this forum and for your time. :)

Dan

Sponsored Links

Mike2
02-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Dan:

Tell us a little more about what you have there. Both the type of stone and size of grout joint.

It could be that a grout colorant would be a good choice for you. It's applied topically like a paint, it's relatively easy to use, and is a good way to renew the look of your grout without the hassle of actually re-grouting.

Aqua Mix Grout Colorant is a very good one that I have used. Comes in 20 or so different colors incl. several shades of gray. You can read more about it here on the Aqua Mix website. http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_detail.asp?pdid=25042&pgid=8374

That same website has a Where to Buy link which includes most all Lowes stores. Or you can purchase online here http://www.1877floorguy.com/aqmixgrcoin.html

:)

danesk
02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
"Tell us a little more about what you have there. Both the type of stone and size of grout joint."

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt response! Not sure about exact type of stone, but it measures just less than 6" square...grout is about 1/4" wide.

My main question now: will the AquaMix be OK to apply to older grout...cleaned well but still not "fresh" with the original white color.

Thanks again for your help!

Dan

Mike2
02-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Will the AquaMix be OK to apply to older grout? Yes. Definitely yes providing the old grout is cleaned properly. You can see on that website that Aqua Mix has several types cleaners recommended for use with their colorant. Some can be used on calcite base stone like marble or travertine, some cannot. That's one reason we need to ID your tile.

Is it granite, slate, marble, travertine, etc.?? If you don't know can you post up a picture for us to look at? This is important because if you have marble for instance and an acid based cleaner is used, the stone will become permanently etched.

danesk
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi again Mike,

Photo attached...I actually went ahead and ordered the combo cleaner/colorant at the site you provided, but will add another cleaner if you think necessary. I printed your color swatches and found that charcoal gray matched quite closely to existing "dirty" grout color.

Thanks again for the good advice. This forum is quite active! :yipee:

tile.jpg

Mike2
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks like a porcelain tile from my desktop, Dan. How's the surface? Extremely hard and resistant to scratching? Maybe find an inconspicuous spot and try scratching it. By any chance are there some spares set aside somewhere?

If in fact it is porcelain then Aqua Mix's Pre-Treat Cleaner could be used without risk of damaging/acid etching the surface.