Kitchen Counter Top Range Opening [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Counter Top Range Opening

Upstream
02-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I am preparing to tile a kitchen countertop and have been unable to locate information regarding how to tile around a free standing range. Does the tile simply go to the edge of the opening (leaving the substrate exposed) or is the substrate cut back the thickness of the tile and vertical tile placed to finish the opening?

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-23-2008, 08:18 AM
usually a counter top trim is returned to the back wall going along the side of the range.
some even make a nice cut at the range and raise the range a little.

Upstream
02-23-2008, 01:15 PM
The opening is just a little wider than 30". Wouldn't returning the Vcap to the wall require an opening an inch or so larger?

jadnashua
02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
There are tile-in-place edgings that could be put there while tiling. Check out www.schluter.com. If the tile is a through-body colored porcelain, you could polish or shape the edge. There are some T-mouldings you could just set in that space to cover the edge and the edge of the stove...some of them look okay, some are pretty tacky. I left the edges of my granite tile just cut...didn't do anything to them.

The important thing is to make sure that opening is square and the right size.