grouting polished porcelin [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grouting polished porcelin

steve10112
02-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I am about to start my 4th tiling project (new bath floor) since reading your forums. This time I will be using 12x12 polished porcelin tiles, with a very square edge. They look very similar to granite or marble tiles and have a very glossy finish. I would like to keep the grout lines to a minimum in order to give the floor a more one piece look. Would 1/16 be acceptable for the minimum. Also I realize I would be using a non sanded grout, which brings up the question if grout haze becomes a problem with the very shiney surface finish. Any sugestions would be appreciated! Steve

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-22-2008, 11:41 PM
a tight joint with the Porcelain you have will look
good if you can keep them flat with no lippage.

and depending on the quality of your porcelain and the polish,
I doubt you will have a problem with haze, it will just powder off
with a dry towel after you grout, rinse and clean it good the first time.

Davestone
02-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Also, most porcelain manuf. recommend sealing polished porcelain, but i haven't had any problems with grout haze myself either.

jadnashua
02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Polishing opens up any pores that in a typical tile are closed by the press while the tile is made. There have been a couple of threads here where people had light tile and chose a dark grout, and the dark grout got into the pores of the polished porcelain and were nearly impossible to get out. You should be able to find it if you search. If you use a grout that is similar to the tile, you may be happier. I think they were using a nearly white tile and charcoal grout and the tile ended up looking light grey...they were not happy.

You might want to take one tile and rub grout over it in the color you want, then clean it off and see. Most of the haze will easily come off of the tile, it's the microscopic pores that could be a problem - once the grout is in there, scrubbing it out may not be reasonably possible, so watch your color choices and test first.

steve10112
02-25-2008, 02:59 AM
Thank you all for the education on polished porcelin. I plan on using a darker gray or charcoal color tile, with grout as close to the tile color as possible, while keeping the grout width to a minumum, in order to give the floor a more 1 piece look. Your help is much appreciated!

Steve