Red body tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Red body tile

fenderbender
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Great forum! :clap1:
I'm a DIY guy that has done some ceramic floor tile at home in the past with good results. Now I'm renovating the bathroom and the floor tile is complete. The bathroom floor tile body color is close to the top color and everything looks good after grouting. Now the missus wants to use the same top pattern but different size on the walls but, the body color is brick red. I don't have that much experience with tile work but, this looks like trouble. :suspect: I don't see how I can possibly hide the brick red body when grouting and not creating brick red margins. Especially after making cuts.

Any suggestions are welcome. :)

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm not following you.

is the tile glazed ?
are you talking about the sides after you cut the tile ?

jadnashua
02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
You need to plan where the cuts go - typically in the corners, so they don't show much if at all. The key is careful use of the grout sponge when forming and cleaning the grout. You can get the grout flush with the cut edge. It takes a good saw to keep minor chipping down so it isn't exposed, though.

MudMaker
02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Fender,
Welcome to the Forum... :)
Schulter makes an edging that will cover the edges if your cut will show.

http://www.schluter.com/139.aspx
When grouting a cut edge, sponge toward the cut and sorta build the grout up to cover the red.

fenderbender
02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys.

CERAMICTEC - The tile is glazed a light beige color and the body color is brick red. And yes, I'm talking about the side edge of the tile showing through light colored grout especially at cut edges.

ceramictec
02-23-2008, 04:14 PM
ok,

your best bet is either to keep a nice flush joint to the top of the tile or install a "tile edge" like stated above.