Locking Laminate flooring install - which corner to start? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Locking Laminate flooring install - which corner to start?

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi, can someone tell me the best way to layout my locking laminate floor based on this drawing? The flooring is Bruce locking laminate. I want to know where to start, since there are a few tight spots.

The laminate says to start in a left corner of a room. There are a lot of tricky cuts to be made around the fireplace and there is an inset for some glass doors. The grey area is the area that will be covered.

The flooring is in planks. I labelled the corners for reference. I'm thinking I have to start in corner 2, right? What's the best way to go around that fireplace?

It is also very important that the area against the tile be a straight line with no board cuts. This line has to be "dead on" if you get my meaning. I measured the room and it is very square.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

http://northlinx.com/floor1.jpg

Sponsored Links

Chris H
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
typically you snap a reference line off the wall and go from there. i always choose the longest wall to start from and work from there. you could start at the window wall, but those cuts would be brutal to start off of. you could always start your first course at the tile. that would ensure that you have a straight a full board at the tile, but until you get enough flooring down, you're likely to have a lot of movement.

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
That seems like a great idea. How would I handle going around that angle, if I'm doing a line starting at corner 1, and install to the right, how do I keep the install going to the left after that corner?

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Or... do I start at that upper right corner and install to the left?

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Ok, I think I have it figured out. In the new drawing, I will start from 1 and work to the right, letting the boards extrude on the left edge to make the angle. When I get to 2, I will run the boards all the way along the tile to the far left wall. Since the row is going opposite to the way the grooves are set to install, I simply have to lift the edge of the plank up to install the next lock underneath it (instead of locking from the top, make sense?). Then I will have a long edge to start on the rest of the room, and going around the fireplace will be a snap with a just a few cuts.

Does this sound like a good approach?
http://northlinx.com/floor1.jpg

muskymike
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi John, you should work left to right. I would start at the doors leaving out the small piece in front of the doors till you are finished. Once you click two or three rows in you can lay some boxes of the lam on that to hold it down.

JTG
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Think I would start at the V in Very if it says lay left to right. I would nail down a dead man across the open area. That way I have a perfect lay where i need it. You should be able to get extra tongues that you would glue into the grove when you pull up the dead man then you can lay that area up to the one.
Good Luck
JTG

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
JTG...

I am definitely a newbie... what is a dead man? And can you explain again how I would work my way back to number 1? What do you mean by "getting extra toungues?" thanks

jadnashua
02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Try a couple of planks and assemble them from either side to see how easy it is. SOme are easier than others to snap together. I'm assuming this is a floating floor? The stuff gets heavy quickly, and is much easier to insert the shorter tongue into the groove than the other way around.

Make sure to try the end joint as well.

On those floating floors, they usually say to only open the package when assembling the floor, unlike typical wood flooring where you want to acclimate it to the humidity of the house first.

jonhebert
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Jim,

The ends are definitely easier to snap together than the long edges. It is a floating floor, but the planks are 1/2" thick and pretty sturdy.

What do you mean by trying the end joint?

It's been acclimating according to the manufacturers instructions.

JTG
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
A dead man would be something like STRAIGHT 2x4 that you can screw/nail to the floor as an extension off the wall where your number 2 is so now you have one nice long straight edge to start laying left to right.
A loose tounge is for gluing into the grove that will be exposed when you remove the dead man. With that tongue glued in then you can start laying the remaining floor left to right.
JTG

La_Floors
02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
You need to start on the longest outside wall (left to right)that acquires the least amount of backwards working of the planks.

La_Floors
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Also some laminants are different.... i usually put all of the end joints together and roll the whole coarse in the side joints at once ( you may need a helper). It keeps you from beating it and helps prevent the trampoline effect.