Thinset for Kerdi [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thinset for Kerdi

KennyZ
02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll be starting a bathroom remodel this weekend and need a little advice on a good unmodified thinset for the Kerdi shower and Ditra. I have access to Lowes and HD but have a few specialty tile stores around too. Home depot has the $6 per bag unmodified but after reading through some other posts it doesn't sound like a quality thinset. I couldn't find an unmodified thinset at Lowes, just the Mapei ultraflex 1 and ultraflex 2. The guy at Lowes said the ultraflex 1 is slightly modified but while reading John's tiling book he mentioned that using even a slightly modified thinset would void the warranty.
Any help on a brand and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all in advance.
Kenny

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Kenny,

See if you can get Ditraset from your local tile store. If not, your Lowe's should have Mapei Kerabond, Laticrete 317, or Laticrete Megabond.

HD carries Custom's thinsets, and they're getting out of the unmodified business. You did well to avoid the cheap stuff.

KennyZ
02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll check it out.

Rd Tile
02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Never had an issue with Versabond, I know, I know. :tongue:

IOU12
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I used Versabond. I'm not really concerned with the warranty. Warranties are highly over rated.

The Versabond grip is real solid.

Rd Tile
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
:clap2:

sandbagger
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM
if your Lowes has Mapei, look for Kerabond - excellent unmodified. Mix with water, not the additive. :tup2:

bastafidli
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
We have used Mapei Kerabond just this week and it worked like a charm. Great advice on this forum.

johntrent
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I used Tec Sturdi Set for several years with the Schluter products and never had a problem. Couple of months ago we had to take up some tile that had been down over a month - ungrouted - in a foyer to add a medallion and it came up waayyy to easy....then once up ...there was no bond to the tiles - all tiles were whole. They were just like new. So, after reading the props on here for a couple of years from John - we decided to give Versa Bond a try and have been very pleased. I have wanted to stay on the warranty side of this issue but have battled recently between glass mfgs and Schluter on exactly what to use. I have done my own testing and the bond between the Versa bond and tile has me feeling good...that tile is only coming up in pcs....

KennyZ
02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Now that I have the thinset, I'm on to my next question (s?). The bathroom is 8' X 10' with 2 exterior walls. I know I don't have to put up a VP behind the sheetrock in the shower stall since it will have Kerdi. What about the remaining part of the exterior walls, do I need to put a VP behind the hardibacker? Not sure if it matters or not but the bathroom does have a large window on one of the exterior walls (outside the 48" X 48" shower stall).
Thanks for everyone's help!

cx
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Not sure what a VP is, Kenny.

Outside the shower, you should generally treat exterior walls per contemporary local standards or code.

My opinion; worth price charged.

KennyZ
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Oops, I meant VB, vapor barrier. That's what happens when I try and type and think at the same time :P.