Cutting Silestone counter in place [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Silestone counter in place

cps
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
My counter overhangs the side of cabinet where refridgerator goes by 1". This is killing me putting in fridge that I want. I have 37" on the upper cabinet only 36" at lower because of counter. Counter is about 1" thick. This stuff seems much harder than corian.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Rob The Glass Man
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
You really need to wet cut this. Silestone is made up of 93% quartz if I remember correctly. After cutting you will need to polish it too. If there is a fridge going there you may be good leaving the side but you will need to do something to the front or it won't look right.

You might be better off calling a counter shop to do this for you.

Also is it standard to have 1" +/- of overhang.

John Bridge
02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I've seen pros do it with an angle grinder and a shop vac, but I wouldn't want to try it. Better get a pro. :)

Rob The Glass Man
02-22-2008, 09:42 PM
The only time I've ever seen a piece of slab cut in place the guy used a Skil 77 with a water hookup and diamond blade. He cut it as close to the wall as he could then used a grinder to finish.

I have to agree with John, I wouldn't try this even if I had the right tools.

Deckert
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd agree that having a counter/slab shop do it would be the easiest and safest, etc. It will aslo be the most expensive. These guys are going to charge you $$$ for the fact that one mistake or misfortune can lead to them replacing your counters.

All that being said, I believe this is completely doable on your own. IF you decide to do it yourself, come back and we can give you some advice to get you the best results.