ready to grout soapstone now - what to use? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : ready to grout soapstone now - what to use?

unakahuna
02-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Is anyone experienced with soapstone tile and what grout to use? I've done research and most soapstone suppliers recommend epoxy grout. This sends shivers done most of the tile guys I spoke with - in fact the guys that I hired agreed to the epoxy grout and have now did a 180. They tiled my steam shower and now want to use Tec XT. They said they would rather pay someone else to grout it if it has to be epoxy - it's that hard. They been tiling for years and said the epoxy is over kill for my app. Grout lines are about an 1/8" and look nice. There's not too much info in the forums on soapstone. Many tilers and tile shops here in the Detroit area didn't know soapstone can come in tiles. It is a great product - I believe the best for a bathroom (as long as you like the color) - virtually no special clean up, no sealers, no slip, no problems.

Any hep folks?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Paul,

I use regular portland cement grout on soapstone. If the joints are tight use unsanded. :)

unakahuna
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks John. How 'bout Tec XT? I believe it's a portland unsanded. Due to the "unplumbness" of the shower the grout run from 1/16 - 3/16 - but mainly about an 1/8". Do you have experience with Mapei's Opticolor? I just got off the phone with the tech rep and he said no tiler should be scared of it.
Paul