DECK MUD, why not mortar mix? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : DECK MUD, why not mortar mix?

brusu
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I understand that you're supposed to use deck mud and not mortar mix for shower floors. Why? Is it because of the lime in it? If so, what effect does this have? thanks?

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
02-21-2008, 08:03 PM
MOrtar is too sticky to form properly, slumps more, it isn't porous so water can get to the weep holes, and it costs more...

crow wing
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
In most cases you cant make mortar more than 1/2 inch thk and you wouldnt be able to get your 1/4 per foot taper to drain due to it not holding its shape as floor mix does.

Davy
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Deck mud is porus like Jim said, water runs thru it easily. That's what you want in a shower, the water to go to the pan and make its way to the weepholes.

Wall mud or concrete is too hard and water won't soak in very fast. I've seen it actually wick up the walls when the floor couldn't soak up the water. :)

brusu
02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
so do you buy some type of pre-mix or mix it yourself?

conceptsplus
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
If you buy mortar mix to float a shower, you'll be working alot harder than you want to. All the above is right. I think there's too much lime in it for what we need. It excellerates too quick and is hard to finish. The sand is also too heavy.

crow wing
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
In the case of Schluter pan there is no floor mix above . :rolleyes:

jdstone
02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
You can mix yourself or buy prebagged, either way depends on how much your gonna do. Shower floor, just get the prebagged sand topping mix from quickrete at one of the big box stores or a local tile supplier should have a "floor mud" mix in a bag. The mix itself in a prebagged is usually 3 to 1,,sand to portland. You can add a shovel of coarse sand to that to make it easer to mix and work with. I like a 4 to 1 mix,,but anywhere from 3/1 to say 5/1 will work. Its just a matter of what you like and are used to.
The water drainage thing is the main issue in a shower. :)