Natural Stone Travertine [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Natural Stone Travertine

J Ozier
02-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I have a 1" thick piece of Natural Stone Travertine for an island top. I need to cut the opening for my cook top 1" wider on both sides. My questions are:
1. Is this a man made stone. Looking at the cut out for the cook top it appears to be.
2. Can I make the cut using a 4-1/2" grinder with an abbrasive blade or what should a do-it-yourselfer use?
3. Am I taking a chance on cracking this $2,000 piece of stone and should I get the original installer back to cut it?
Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links

madronatile
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Call him back, he should be able to do it in way less than an hour. Money well spent. Save him some time by tarping off the area to keep the dust down.

Lazarus
02-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes, you can cut it yourself with the grinder, using a "turbo blade," as long as you're confident in your abilities. Most of us here probably would....BUT, for a $2000 piece of material, all it would take would be one slip-up and you've ruined it. I would think you could get him out there for a hundred or so bucks, if he's local to you. Is it worth the peace of mind? Your call....