multi room layout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : multi room layout

RedRock
02-21-2008, 01:25 AM
:twitch: Been trying to think through a fairly complicated house layout and was hoping someone might have some suggestions.

Imagine about 1500sf of 16inch tile to be installed from one end of the house to the other. Starting on one end - a long hallway with a small bath to one side, going diagonal towards an
entry and up to a family room then diagonal through another small hallway into a dining room /kitchen area. From there going down another long diagonal hallway with a laundry room conjoining to a mechanical room, another bathroom and some closets.

The entry/family room and the kitchen are parallel to each other, seperated by another hallway.

My initial thought was to make the entry/fr area the center point of the install, however going towards the kitchen and down the hallway and other rooms has me worried. The other worry is not having a direct line of sight and subsequent layout lines outside of the entry/fr area.

I was planning to use a square layout but am thinking that a diagonal may be a better way to accommodate the diagonal hallways.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links

Brad Denny
02-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Howdy Juan,
You gotta sketch w/ some dimensions? I bet it'd look cool to run square in the hallways if you could mirror them making the cuts the same in both (if I'm envisioning this right).

Oh, for the layout with long sight lines, they make some cool lasers for this if you thought you could make good $ to pay for part of it.

conceptsplus
02-21-2008, 07:36 AM
I agree with brad. The hallways need to be centered. Unless they are perfectly inline with one another, the odds of a 45* layout will not produce this on a continuous run. If you want to effort it, you can square border the large rooms coming out of the hallways with the straight layout. Then Center & run your 45 within the border in the larger areas. It's a bit of math. The easy way is straight the hallways. Plus you get the ability to center all connecting rooms.
Randy

RedRock
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Brad ... I thought my wording may be a little hard to follow, I'll try to draw something up or paste some pictures.

Randy, I like your idea with the border around the rooms. That may solve some major dilemmas.

RedRock
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Please excuse my scratch art of this floor plan - I was using Paint with the touch pad on my laptop. Its not to scale but its close to what the layout resembles.

The colored areas are not getting tile. Everything else is tiled.

Brad Denny
02-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Is that octagonal room to the right of the blue an all window breakfast nook, and the entrance b/t the brown?

RedRock
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Brad,

Yes, its their dining room. There are windows on all sides except the far left where there is a door. Yes, the entrance is between the two brown rooms. In front of that is the family room. To the left is a fireplace hearth. On the right hallway, the little square punchout is actually supposed to be a semi-circular shape. It is where the circular stairs go up. The rooms on the far left side of the drawing is a laundry room and mechanical/storage room. The black rectangle is another set of stairs.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I was trying to draw.
1. From dining room (near the blue room) looking down small hallway toward family room.
2. From the entry looking towards circular stairway.
3. From family room looking towards entry.

RedRock
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Anyone?

opiethetileman
02-24-2008, 04:51 PM
if it was my floor i would center rite off the front door for one control line. and lay the parrallel lines back and forth to make sure you had at least 4 to 7 inch cuts on the walls. the good thing is there is so many angles and nothing is just wide open like a basketball court so you cant where you started or stoped good luck. nice cabinets but they need a cabinet skin for that end unit the white luan looks like crap to me

matman
02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Juan,

I saw this thread the other day. Can't be of much help without some numbers.

Need
1 An accurate tile size
2 joint size
3 Two tlie, two joints
Do you have any play with your grout joint size?

Measurements

Side to side is looking most critical to me

Great room inside measurements side to side
hall on rt. width
Kitchen, side to side but wall to wall, not from the cabinets
hall on left side to side or width ( where it squares off, front of house)

If we could get the width or the left to rt. sitting pretty good, then we''ll deal with the depth. :)

matman
02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
You better get in there before they put up all that base. :tongue:

tilerite
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
In Arizona, I had many homes where virtually every sq. ft. was tiled. In one particular home I recall doing the halls straight and the rooms diagonal with a border. In another home, I made mosaic transitions at the doorways.

Brad Denny
02-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Wow Juan,
I guess if I were to have to make the floor absolutely seamless (without clever transitions like Rick suggested) I'd start at the front entry onna 45 centered on the door. You'll need to figure in a new blade or two for sure. :)

tileguytodd
02-25-2008, 06:27 AM
I agree with Brad.........Entry Must POP............Everything else will have furniture etc...........If i could adjust to the hallways I would.

I could easily spend near 2 days just laying this out.
16" tile throught makes it alot tougher to adjust and you dont have any Really good Breaks at your hallways as shown.

Hope you bid this one High because its going to be a PITA from the git go ;)

If you lay all this on the diagonal you'll need ALOT of extra tile.I'm thinking as much as 80 -125 s/f extra depending on everything I CANT see LOL.

I believe I would try to spend a little time with the owner discussing what will be where to get an Idea where youve got some leeway and where you definitly Do Not.

This one'l definitly seperate the orange bucket crowd from the Professional Tile Mechanic :D

RedRock
02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone, :wave:

As most of you probably know, right after the completion of painting, all the subs converge on a house to get it done. Cabinets are just started as you can see, electrician is all over the place, and the tile guy is going to be fighting for floor space. I expect to have the finish carpenter, carpet installer and plumber nipping at my heels in a couple of weeks.

You have given me some good ideas - and a plan of attack. I agree that the entry way needs some wow factor. The house has so much curb appeal and character on the inside, a nice entry will be the cherry on top! Guess I'll see how much the homeowner wants to indulge in that space.

Matt, thanks for offering to get nitty gritty with dimensions but I won't bore you with such details. The tile is a rustic slate-looking ceramic. Unfortunately, they were not able to get all the tile from the same lot. Once it gets here I'll see how much the lots differ. I think 3/16 grout joints will give me plenty of wiggle room and help speed up the install. Been doing 1/8 or less lately so this will seem like playing horseshoes.

I like the idea of mosaic transitions at the doorways. I did that one a few years back on a house that had different tile in each room. I was hoping for a seamless floor throughout but it may not all work out. I'll be snapping chalk lines today to get some better visuals of the layout.

Gracias mis amigos.

Brad Denny
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
hey de no que! (sp?) Let us know what ideas you decide on, and pics of your beautiful work would be nice, too. :)

matman
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Mosaics are nice in the doorways and will free you up to deal with all the different rooms individually, go for it. I'd say good luck but I've seen your work and you don't need any luck. :)