Best way to achieve relief/inset? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to achieve relief/inset?

redred
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I am planning on doing my first tub/shower surround. Going whole hog, will be doing inset panels on all walls, with a complementary tile. I will use backer board (sorry, not up to trying to mud a wall - yet). To get the 1/4" relief I want, is it best to put up 1/4" on the whole wall, and then another 1/4" on the parts I want raised (all around the sides/edges/corners), to there is a single "unit" to it? Or is it OK to use 1/2" at the outsides and use completely seperate 1/4" for the inset areas?? (Or do I need to go back to my tile book and be reminded that I need a minimum 1/2" backer board on all framing in any event - even 12" framing as I have in this case, so I don't really have a question here?)

Thanks.

Red in DC

Sponsored Links

redred
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Starting this weekend, if anyone can offer advice.

Red in DC

ceramictec
02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
are you trying to have some of the tile stand out raised on an area of the wall ?

I doubt you can install 1/2" in some area's and 1/4" in another due to stud placement.

I would do 1/2" all over and install 1/4" in the area you want to stand out.

JMO :)

conceptsplus
02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, go 1/2" then 1/4" over the 1/2" where you need it. Thinset the 1/4" over the 1/2".
I make straight edges and notch the ends to screed off thinset when building out things like glass tile, etc. It seems to me the layers of cbu may screw with water drainage in the walls, especially if it's red garded.

redred
03-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I'll do it that way.

Red in DC