Lifespan of a diamond saw blade? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of a diamond saw blade?

Rich_Bybee
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi All,
I'm wondering if this is normal.

I've cut about 100 linear feet of 5/16" porcelain tile and I'm down to bare steel on my 10" felker diamond saw blade (this is the stock blade that came with the saw).

I honestly figured the blade would last longer, but I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Any ideas?

Oh, can diamond saw blades be re-diamonded? :) or just go buy a new one?

Thanks!
Rich

Sponsored Links

stonemason777
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Try running blade thru brick or pumice stone

PrecisionFlooring
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
If its anything like the stock blade on a TM-75 it was probably bare metal to begin with :lol1:

Try dressing it and see if that helps, if not a new blade is in order ;)

lefty33
02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
if you are down to bare metal it is time for a new one. I have used several brands and you should get thousands of feet cut with a new quality blade

Rich_Bybee
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys,
This was the factory blade with a FTS-150, so it is probably similar to the blade that comes with the TM-75.

I really am down to bare metal as far as I can tell. So I don't think dressing it will help.

If I should be able to get 1000's of cut feet per blade, then this one REALLY sucks!!

Any recommendations for a "good" brand of blade? Are any "good" brands available at HD, lowes, or Ace? I hate to halt this project to wait for shipping. :-(

Rich_Bybee
02-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, btw, this is why I think the blade is shot. Maybe someone can tell me if my thinking is wrong....

I cut two pieces of bullnose tonight and everthing worked great! I then went to put a piece of the 13" through the saw and all of a sudden the blade was throwing up sparks! I checked for obstructions, and there were none. I'm not cutting in to the table. There was no loose tile in the space for the table, just sparks every time I tried to cut.

I checked the edge of the blade, and as far as I can tell, it is bare metal.

Steve in PA
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Rich

Here is a good 10" blade for Porcelain... ($54)

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/TileSawDiamondBladeGranitePorcelain/FelkerFelkerTM710in.html

I bought 2 around 6 months ago. The first one is still cutting true after moderate to heavy use.

MudGuy
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Rich -

Very happy with Diamond Products - Heavy Duty Orange. I buy them for both my wetsaw (10") and my grinder (4"). Used this company for years.

Here's their website to find out who distributes in your area.

www.diamondproducts.com

:D

ceramictec
02-19-2008, 11:31 PM
yes your blade is shot, the side might have meat on it still but the end is dead.

scuttlebuttrp
02-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Felker's normal blades are good. MK Gold has always been an awesome blade. I only use a Dewalt blade on my grinder and love them. Don't know if they make a bigger one for your saw though.
Whatever you do though, don't talk to that guy on the phone who calls everyone. He's a real hemmeroid.

Mike2
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Rich, were you using that blade wet or dry to cut that first 100 feet?

Rich_Bybee
02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks all!

Mike, I was cutting wet.

Mike2
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks.

I had to ask because a blade's life-span measured at 100 LF is unusually short. Even for a stock blade that is shipped with a new saw.

Rich_Bybee
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Could the fact that I was cutting 5/16" porcelain explain the short lifespan?

Mike2
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Without being there or even seeing a picture of this blade, all we can do is guess. Really guess and to that end my guess is cutting porcelain would in itself not explain the short life span. Yes, porcelain is very hard but not very abrasive. To go through the entire diamond matrix on a blade with 100 LF of cutting suggests me me a very abrasive material was being cut or a deflective blade that slipped past quality control.

Or to put it another way, I can't explain it. Not even a clue. ;)

Davy
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
They make blades for cutting porcelain, I doubt the blade that come with the saw was one. :)

conceptsplus
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
If the rim gets hot and cracks at the start of the weld, they will wear out super quick.
My personal favorite blade brand is by far- Alpha. They are very well balanced and produce perfect cutting every time. Haven't dressed one yet! These are especially beneficial if you deal with alot of expensive stones.

Jason_Butler
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
I use the MK225 blade for all of my tile - granite, porcleain, ceramic, travertine...

A hundred feet is nothing as long as the blade matches the application.

Jason