Professional found at last...or [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Professional found at last...or

rayc325
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
.....not?

I have been looking for someone to tile a bathroom and build a shower for weeks. No time to do it myself. All the shower builders were the same, no preslope, nails in the curb, etc. Well we were at a christmas party at a friends house and he showed us his shower. I recognized it as a Kerdi shower by the square drain. It was beautiful..all marble on the diagonal, niche, really nice. He works for a tile andd stone company so I asked him for a quote. His guy (same guy that did the marble shower) started this week tiling the bathroom floor and around the tub..pretty nice. :yipee:

Then he Kerdied the shower and layed the mud bed with a Kerdi drain - not bad. Then he started tiling the shower. They did the floor first - why - I don't know "thats the way we always do it, floor first". I had them use the DUK liners for the niche. They tiled three walls up to the niche and around it uh-oh? :cry: does this look professionally done? I stopped them there..Does anyone have pics of a niche done this way so I can show them what it should look like? Thanks :bow:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/RAYC325/niche.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/RAYC325/drain.jpg

Sponsored Links

IOU12
02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey Ray.

I am only a DIYer but that does not look so good. That floor looks real bad. Nothing is straight/square or even, broken tile around the drain and just plain ugly around the drain. I don't really like the planning on the niches either. Just not very pleasing to the eyes at all.

It will probably look a little better once grouted ??, if you let them go that far.

I personally wouldn't accept it. :cry: I'd make em fix it. :sick:

Good Luck.

jonnyboy
02-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm only a DIY-er, but I would not accept something that looked like that! Maybe I'm too picky, but I would think a "professional" could do something that at least looked professional!

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
OH MY.. They would be tearing the floor out real fast...

It almost looks like Ditra underneath the floor. Or it is the backing of the mesh, cant really tell.

duneslider
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Who decided where the niches were to be placed? If they decided then I think they made a mistake. If you decided, they should have told you to reconsider.

The floor, well, what can I say. It can be difficult to keep things perfectly straight with mounted goods. They come crooked and its a really pita to cut those sheets to pieces and lay it piece by piece. The drain cuts are pretty bad.

Bryan

jgleason
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with the others. This looks pretty bad.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I dont think it matters who decided where the niches go. Nothing is symetrical. They could of atleast centered it and made it look better than sliver cuts

tilerite
02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree, looks pretty weak and the layout is not eye appealing.

DYImikeinKY
02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
:( Time to sit down with the tile folks and have a talk - no self respecting do it yourselfer would be proud of that, let alone a professional.

Jaz
02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
The floor isn't as bad as the wall in my opinion. The worst thing is the grout space is too wide at the drain and of course that one broken tile. Those tiles look about 3/4" x maybe 3" or so and may not be mounted so good? A little out of square but that may be the way they're made? Also remember the "dished" shape of the pan may make it worse?

The wall tiles are another matter. I can't figure out the pattern of the field tiles? Need to take another pic, but pan-out a bit more.

From what I can see of the trim work though it is obvious;y wrong. Why did he put the bullnose on the bottom inside of the niche, and then on the outside on the rest. That is goofy! :rolleyes:

Jaz

ceramictec
02-14-2008, 05:13 PM
that is gross!!

why would they put the bullnose on the bottom inside but then install it on the outside flat wall on the other 3 side..yuck!

and I know those paper back sheets aren't always set from the factory the straightest, but it looks horrid. the cuts and the gap around the drain is bad like Jaz says.

* if they were to put the bullnose around the inside on the niche it wouldn't look so bad with all those joints going every which way. :sick:

Bill Vincent
02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
why would they put the bullnose on the bottom inside but then install it on the outside flat wall on the other 3 side..yuck!

I actually agree with that part of it. I'd prefer if all four sides are framed out, with a piece of tile the size of the bullnose on the bottom, but that shelf needs to be overhanging the wall tile, no matter what. If the bullnose is on the outside, capping the shelf, it's going to create a small dam, unless very special attention is paid to that joint when grouting. I just did the very same thing in my "hex" shower.

One way or the other, this is not the work of a pro. Not one who cares about his work, anyway.

Lazarus
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
That floor makes me dizzy. Looks like it's a mosiac (of sorts) because of the paper backing. If your tile guy put it down as it was...shame on him. I woulda' returned the tile to the store...telling them that it looked like a one-eyed Pedro put the crap together......

Bill Vincent
02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
one-eyed Pedro put the crap together

:yeah: :lol1: :lol1: :yeah:

ceramictec
02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
the Niche bullnose should all have been ran on the inside to
cut down on that butcher shop of cuts all over the front.

* mine looks better and I only fixed it with "paintbrush"...lol

http://i30.tinypic.com/xmmsg7.jpg OR http://i30.tinypic.com/a2ww3d.jpg

rdtompki
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I know this is a small point, but why would you use duct tape? That stuff will pull the fuzz off the Kerdi for sure and you had best wait until the thinset is really set behind the tiles to say nothing of the goo it will leave on the tile.

IOU12
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Dang Brian. That looks much better. Nice.....

Can you "paintbrush" up a fix for that floor? :uhh:

ceramictec
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
lol :lol1:

ceramictec
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I do all my Niche's for full tile and a smooth layout.

this one i just did last week, bullnose always on inside.
http://i31.tinypic.com/16775eg.jpg

this one was built out with Hardi full full tile all around.
http://i28.tinypic.com/23hrf5j.jpg

the tile mechanic needs to pay attention to the final look,
smooth grout lines that flow and accent bands that continue while he is laying out the job.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Boy Brian, I know someone that could of used your expertise on a large job somewhere near S.Dakota.. :lol1:

Saldibs
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I agree with Brian 100%. i always do my niches like Brian has shown in his touched up version and other photos, much nicer that way.

Dave Gobis
02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
I would not be using paper mount in the bottom of a shower.

rayc325
02-15-2008, 06:21 AM
I agree, the niche should have been simple. But hanging around here you see a lot of really nice framed niches so I thought I would go for that..anyway here is his second attempt to get it right....what do you think?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/RAYC325/nicheredo.jpg

irish tileguy in michigan
02-15-2008, 06:40 AM
still not right in my opinion , he should have centred the bullnose on the two sides and mitred them on the bottom
looks alot better though

ceramictec
02-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I think the main thing here is we each could probably lay that Niche out 10 different ways.
but the question is.....do "YOU" like it now and can you accept it?

if you guys decided that's what you wanted, as long as its clean looking to you that's good..

IOU12
02-15-2008, 08:23 AM
It is better than before. I'm sure once grouted it will be even better.

I personally don't like the framed look. I'd like to see it flow nice and smooth.

Like Brian said If "YOU" like go for it. It is, without a doubt, much improved.

Post some pichers in of how your gonna handle that floor. :uhh:

Saldibs
02-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Seems a lot better now, and will probably look fine when grouted. Just not the way I like to do them, I like to do them the same way as Brian has shown. Just seems lot a lot of extra work and many more grout lines than there need to be.

ceramictec
02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't like the top of the bottom long shelf and the sides of the center piece on each end.

Marge
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Ray, that is tons better. :nod:

And like everyone has said, it can be done a dozen different ways. I happen to like framed niches...and unframed ones as well. :) It's all a matter of personal preference.

Please be sure to post some pitchers after grouting!