Schluter-Step: What size to use 1 7/16" or 2 1/4" front edge drop. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter-Step: What size to use 1 7/16" or 2 1/4" front edge drop.

Tom R.
03-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Need help with the schluter Rondec-Step product. I am planning a countertop made with 12" x 3/8" thick Granite tiles, My layout has a U shaped countertop; with a 12" overhang (by 5 Ft long) on the back side of a set of 3 cabinets. The schluter Rondec - Step has two sizes 1 7/16" front edge drop this size has inside & outside corners available."Good" and 2 1/4" No corners available. How much underlayment can or should I use with a 12" overhang.
3/4" Plywood + 1/2" plywood + Ditra Membrane 1/8" + thinset ? Would this make the 1 7/16 front drop and will it be strong enought for the 12" overhang? Or should I use the 2 1/4" drop and what underlayment could I use to build up to the 2 1/4" drop. Also how do you make a inside or out side corner with the Rondec-Step.
Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
03-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi Tom,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have two questions: one having to do with Rodec Step and the other having to do with the structure of the 12-in. overhang.

On the overhang, the 3/4 and 1/2 in. plywood layers will be fine, BUT all overhangs that wide must be supported from underneath. You cannot expect the top itself to support the installation. If you can bend the rough top downward prior to the tile installation, it won't support the finished product. Use brackets or legs under the overhang.

I don't see an outside corner available for the Rondec-step, and I have not done an installation with that product. I'm going to go to the Schluter folks for help with your question. It may take a day or two.

(For Schluter folks viewing this thread, please email me some info, and I'll post it here. Muchas gracias :) )

In the meantime, there may be others here who have used the product.

Tom R.
03-28-2003, 03:06 PM
John, Thanks for all your great info. For the Schluter 1 7/16" front drop Could I use 3/4" plywood and the Ditra membrane like they show on the Schluter web-site under Rondec-Step. And then add a supporting leg or some L- bracket system for one end? The other end will be no problem as it will be supported by some bracing from the 2" x 4" outside wall. Or will there be a problem with only one 3/4" plywood for the substrate. Maybe I should build something that would attatch to the back of my cabinets for eating and keep the U shaped countertop at 24-25".
Thanks,
Tom

John Bridge
03-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I actully made oak brackets for my bar overhang. Angled brackets work better than "L" shaped ones.

The beauty of the Schluter products is that you can adapt them to your needs. The folks at Schluter are always interested in new ways to use their stuff. They monitor this board and will eventually see this post, but a bunch of them are just getting back from our convention in Orlando. It will take them a couple days to catch up. I bugged out a day early. ;)

bbcamp
03-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Consider a bracket in the middle of the overhang as well as the end. 5 feet is a long span for unsupported plywood.