How much spacing for 12" granite countertop tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How much spacing for 12" granite countertop tile

Tom R.
03-18-2003, 03:11 PM
How much spacing do I need for 12" granite countertop tiles. Backsplash questions - How high 4" or 5" and do I use 3/4" plywood and cement backerboard. 1/4" or 1/2". If I want to use wood trim "maple" on the front edge what can I use? Note: No bull-nosed edge on my 12" granite tiles; and I am a bit short on money. Is there any maple trim like V-Cap or L-Sink trim pieces or do you just use a 3/4" thick by 2" high maple stock and round the edge?
Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
03-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Tom! Welcome th the Forum!

You can have almost anything you want and your wallet can afford.

Grout lines can be 1/8 to 1/16, but you must use unsanded grout. The thinner they are, the harder to pack full.

Backsplash can be as high as pleases you. You can put the tile directly on the sheetrock, on backerboard on sheetrock, or on plywood, backerboard, then sheetrock. It's your call. Remember that different applications will require different edge treatment.

You can make your own edging from wood stock if you want.

That's what makes tiling exciting for the homeowner/DIYer, you have complete creative control! You decide what you want, we'll help you do it right!

Come back to this thread with future questions, so we can keep out stories straight! :D

Bob

Brian Briggs
03-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Joint size - I would use 1/16" (toothpick). You must have something for the grout to root to.

Sub deck - I would use cement backer board screwed and glued to pressure treated plywood.

Back splash - If there is an upper bar I would go riser height all the way around the kitchen and it can be stuck directly to the drywall.

Edging - Your edging can be anything you choose. I would put a flat polish (most shops would do this for you at a reasonable cost) on my edge pieces and overhang them past the sub deck, then use a strip to cover the sub deck. Leave 1/8" to 1/4" overhang past the strip. This will give you a thick looking edge pretty cheap.

But thats just my two cents. Good luck and enjoy.