Used pledge on marble floor - now all greasy! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Used pledge on marble floor - now all greasy!

kdv
10-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi!

I am freaking out a bit - I am a new home owner, with a bathroom that has black marble tiles with white veining. I saw that the Pledge wipes that I bought said, "good for marble" - but now I see that they mean marble countertops NOT floors. My floors are slippery, filmy, and greasy - and I used an organic, Mrs Murphy's cleaner to try to clean it to no avail.

I am very upset at the thought that I may have ruined my new tiles -- can anyone suggest a product to use to clean that film off, and perhaps also calm my nerves?

Thanks, Kate

Sponsored Links

AlbanyTom
10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Before one of the tile guys jumps in with better advice, I'll say this:

Whatever you do, don't use anything with acid in it. No vinegar, no concrete/masonry cleaner or acid. They'll disolve the marble.

Me, I'd try a new, microfiber cloth, dry, that they sell in the car wax section of stores. If there's no grit or dirt on the floor, the cloth shouldn't scratch the marble, but be carefull. The stuff has to wear off, otherwise they wouldn't make money selling more of it.

Old World Tile and Marble
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
toms right bout the acid thing netural cleaner only..id try the towel like tom mentioned to thin the cleaner out and try to dry it a little quicker chances are its got some oil base to it that is drying slower.

kdv
10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi fellas & thanks!

So just to be sure that I don't screw this up more - do I go and get a neutral cleaner (and are there brand names / types that I ought to be looking for, to ensure that I don't get one with acid in it?) or just use the cloth and let time do the trick? The idea that pledge must wear off, that's how they sell more - that made me feel a lot better - but then again that's on a surface that can accept it, whereas I obviously put it on a surface that it wasn't supposed to go on. In any case, sounds like I didn't ruin it, which is great news -- so yeah, I guess my question is I am happy to get the microfiber cloth and hope not to have any dirt on there, but do I use a solution as well & if so which brands?

Thanks again! I feel very happy to have found this cite (and you guys on it)!
Kate

Mike2
10-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Kate, here are a few brands of neutral cleaners you might look for: Mira Clean #1 (from Miracle Sealants); Tile & Stone Floor Cleaner, and Concentrated Stone & Tile Cleaner (from Aqua Mix); and Stone & Tile Cleaner (from StoneTech Pro).

Generally any store with a well stock tile section will have a neutral cleaner. And many retail flooring stores selling carpet, hardwood, tile will have some of these supplies. That's where I get mine.

kdv
10-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Mike (and Sigma & Tom) --

So now I feel like a total idiot for having done this so I am going to ask one more (I hope it is the last! you do too, I imagine - ha) Q: Do I use the microfiber cloth WITH the cleaner or first or later? What cloth do I use with the cleaner, is what I am asking. I know that I have this film on my floor that irritates and worries me but I also know that scratches are worse.

Dank U (that's dutch) again! Kate

ckl111
10-20-2007, 07:47 PM
You can use any soft cloth with the cleaner although the bottle may give you further recommendations.

A micro fiber cloth is a soft absorbent cloth that may help remove some of the pledge without chemicals but if you are going to use a cleaner, it doesn't matter.

Tom's comment was just to warn you that if the floor is dirty, the grit may scratch the floor when you rub it.

Don't be too concerned because the pledge will wear off even if you just leave it but it may be a safety hazard if it's slippery.

Don't feel bad. Similar thing happened to me when I had furniture polish (Pledge of all things :)) overspray onto the hardwood floor. It created a big slippery patch on the floor. Almost needed to set up an orange cone in the area. :D

AlbanyTom
10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Colin's right, that's what I meant. The cloth would trap any grit and the grit would scratch the marble. So you want it clean, first. The dry cloth, or the neutral cleaners these guys recommend, won't hurt the marble, so there's no harm in whatever order you try them in.

I just suggested the microfiber because I know it's harmless, it might work, and I didn't know of anything better. Main thing was to try to catch you before you tried something that might make it worse. What would I do now? I'd try the microfiber first, because I've got them in the house, then I'd go find the stuff that Mike mentioned. I wouldn't try any cleaner you'd find in a regular discount store. You've already found out that labels on that stuff aren't always honest...

Or, you could put up the orange cones!!

TedL
10-20-2007, 09:00 PM
BTW, oil soap was part of the problem, not part of the solution.