Cutting wood with diamond blade [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting wood with diamond blade

TheViper
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Can a diamond blade meant for ceramics be used for occasional light duty wood cutting? If not, I would be interested in knowing why.

Sponsored Links

bluenoise
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
It would only burn the wood through friction as its abrasive is far too smooth for cutting something as soft as wood. The "teeth" are nearly microscopic. I suspect you'd only overheat the blade and the wood wouldn't cut.

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
No, I doubt it would even start to cut it. Theres really no teeth on a wet saw blade.

tileman2000
09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Depends on how light duty you're talking about.I cut door jambs with mine,but that's about all I would cut with the diamond blade.

TheViper
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys, just the sort of advice I was looking for. I guess there is no reason I could not install a wood cutting blade on my tile table saw and obviously run it dry. Strange thing is the diamond blade is 7" and wood cutting blades don't come in that size. I will have to go down a size to 6 1/2"

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Why would you want to ruin a diamond blade to cut wood?

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Just re-read that. Your going to put a wood blade on your wet saw?

TheViper
09-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Please explain to me why I could not get double duty from this tile table saw by putting a wood blade on it. Unconventional I know but I believe it would work fine.

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Depends on what your cutting with it. I can invision you trying to run something through it and gravity taking over and knocking the wet saw over.. :wtf:

tileman2000
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Haven't seen that done.Could work i suppose,but with the smaller blade,you need a saw that can be lowered to cut the wood....

Scottish Tile and Stone
09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Thats what Im trying to say. Your gonna have alot of blade sticking up. :clap2:

bluenoise
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't have any experience with tile saws, but doesn't the blade spin such that the front edge is going down? That would make feeding wood into a wood blade a bit tricky as it's going to try to pull it away from you.

For a smaller blade, you could just add a 1/2" thick board to the table top (raise the table to the blade).

TheViper
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
It's just an idea I came up with. I live in a condo, not much room, and thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Interesting about the blade going the opposite direction, I never thought of that. I only wanted to make small wood cuts, like moulding etc. What am I missing, a smaller diameter blade would lower the blade, no ???

Brian in San Diego
09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Personally, I think trying to get a tool to do something it wasn't intended for is not only not a good idea but a potentially dangerous one. Have you investigated the RPM of a table saw vs. the RPM for a wet saw? I think I'd want to know that. I would also be concerned about the saw dust generated and worry it might "bugger" something up.

Brian

TheViper
09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Good point, I will investigate. I do however enjoy "thinking out of the box" and doing unusual things. I agree though that safety is paramount. I appreciate all the input.

prescottrecorder
09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
If you're just cutting small pieces like trim, get a mitre box and small hand saw.

Davy
09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Not sure about the blade direction of a tile table saw but a wood cutting table saw has the blade coming toward you on the top side as it cuts. If it went the other way it would grab the wood and yank it out of your hands. I believe it would since I've never tried it. :)

TheViper
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
My tile saw has the blade rotating in the same direction you described.

ckl111
09-12-2007, 08:32 PM
It is very dangerous for a variety of reasons to put a wood blade in a tile saw, losing your fingers is at the top of the list. You should never get your fingers as close to an unguarded wood blade as you would a diamond blade.

Even with a proper wood table saw, small pieces are the most dangerous things to cut. Stone will crack or shatter whereas wood can snag and pull the piece into the blade along with your hand. You only need it to happen to you once before you never do it again assuming you learned your lesson with your fingers intact. I know we kid around a lot on the forums but there's nothing funny about safety. I've shaken hands with a few carpenters with missing fingers.

When I cut small pieces (less than 2") of trim with a mitre saw, I cut them off long pieces. If the dimension is off, I throw it away and cut a new one. I don't try to shave off 1/8" with my hand 2" from the spinning blade.

TheViper
09-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Point taken, thanks.