Need advice to clean the grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice to clean the grout

szhk2010
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I applied grout to my newly installed tiles in the bathroom last weekend. Based on the instruction on the grout box, I should clean and remove haze 2 hours after applied the grout, but the grout was dry already after 2 hours. I then made a even bigger mistake by thinking it makes no difference if I do it then and later. It is now seems impossible to clean the grout between tiles. I have not apply sealer yet, is there a way that I can clean up the grout between tiles?

thanks

Sponsored Links

Mike2
09-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi 2010, How about a first name? :)

Some more information will be helpful. How big of an area is it, what type of tile, tile size, and where is it (floor, wall, etc)? Then when you say: is there a way that I can clean up the grout between tiles?

Tell us little more about that problem. Is the grout rough and/or not even with the tile's surface?

szhk2010
09-11-2007, 09:42 AM
yes, it is rough and not even with the tile's surface. The space between tiles is 1/8, but it looks like 1/4 now.

thanks

John

szhk2010
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
those are pictures of the wall, do you think I will have to scrape all the grout and reapply?

thanks

John

Mike2
09-11-2007, 09:08 PM
John, I'd say it's possible you can clean up those joints. Not highly likely but still possible. Get a grout saw and give it a try. The biggest risk you face is scratching the tile. Be very, very careful. Various grout removal tools are available most anywhere tile related tools are sold.

If it doesn't work you'll still need the grout saw although various power tools are also available for this purpose. For re-grouting, remove the existing material down to about 2/3rds the tile depth before reapplying the new.

szhk2010
09-11-2007, 11:42 PM
thanks for the reply.

I have a dremel rotary tool kit, I found a grout removal bit at lowes, but the dremel grout removal attachment is not in stock at both lowes & homedepot. lowes only has rotozip attachment in stock. so before I buy a new rotozip tool kit, do you think I can use my dremel without the attachment to get the job done?

thanks

John

Mike2
09-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I personally have no experience with either the Dremel or Rotozip attachments for removing grout. But I've seen many posts from others about them. Might try doing a search to locate more information. Seems to me they were used primarily for removal of grout, not dressing down the joints. :shrug: