Wet/Dry Vac [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wet/Dry Vac

Mattt19
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm shopping for a wet/dry vac and am looking for opinions on what's good and what's not. I'm looking for something that's quite and good at sucking up dust. Budget of $300 (I'm willing to spend less :D ). The Fein turbo II caught my eye. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links

Davestone
09-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't know about that one, Matt,but i'd say Fein must have a good one, but i researched these things for two months,and what did i do, i had a big cleaning job, and just ran out and bought one locally,don't even know the name,never even turned it on, and the job cancelled on me, now i have a $400.00 wetvac sittin in the trailer i've never even used! :crap: :goodluck:

tileguytodd
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Sears Has the Best Wet/Dry on the Market...........Best thing is they are reasonably priced !!
Their new filtration system eliminates that telltale puff of dust at startup.

The 16 gallons always Nice if you have the room for it..........I use an 8 Gallon 4.5 HP with a 2" hose...In my experience the craftsman Vacs Outlast the SHOP VAC Brand almost 4 to 1!!

Scooter
09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Ditto on Sears

PrecisionFlooring
09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I absolutely love my Festool CT22 dust extractor. Best vac I have ever used....it is pricey though, a bit more than $300.

prashster
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
You can also get a 'regular' shopvac - any brand is fine - but get a 16gal+.

Clearvuecyclones makes a minicyclone for $100 that mounts on top of a 5gal bucket. It is connected in between yr shopvac and your tool. It separates a lot of the dust that would otherwise make its way to your shopvac's filter. It's a cinch to empty the bucket vs. scraping your filter clean.

Upgrade to a hepa filter also.

ragdoll
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I've had this one for a while now. Works great in dry and wet. Easy to clean. Quiet.

I have 2 friends with the exact same one and they use them a LOT and have no problems at all. Another friend works for a dealership cleaning/detailing cars and they use this one as well.

Link (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917066000P?vName=Tools&cName=Wet-Dry+Vacs&sName=Tank+Style)

And it's on sale right now.

Mattt19
09-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Sears, huh? :scratch: I hadn't even considered sears. The vac I have now is a sears, and boy does it suck(pun intended). The top pops off, the canister falls over and talk about loud. I don't know what model it is - it's definitely not the 16 gal version you're talking about. It was the cheapest one available when I bought it ten years ago.

koihito
09-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I've got a sears shop vac older than me (32) I got from my father in law that is used on almost every job and it was used frequently for the two+ decades before I got it. Its loud and ugly, but it works great.

Davy
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a Sears also, about ten years old and still works great. :)

mdnky
09-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Sears, huh? I hadn't even considered sears. The vac I have now is a sears, and boy does it suck(pun intended). The top pops off, the canister falls over and talk about loud. I don't know what model it is - it's definitely not the 16 gal version you're talking about. It was the cheapest one available when I bought it ten years ago.

The portion in bold says it all.

Make sure you spring for a better filter depending on your intended use. The stock filter (white, red stripe) is fine for normal use, even to a point for sanding, but the fine dust filter (blue) and HEPA filters (green) are a much better choice for any drywall work or fine-dust applications.

Best bets for the money are the $90 #17764 / #17761 (same thing, one is a "special anniversary edition") or the $140 #17784.

sandbagger
09-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Shop-Vac's quality may have slipped - but they are still made in USA I believe. I had an old metal drum vac that lasted over 20 yrs. The motor brushes gave out and I couldn't find replacements, so I bought another one. That was 3 yrs ago and the motor on this one makes a strange whine when it shuts down - not very encouraging.

One thing to look for is the Gore-Tex filter cartridge. It's HEPA-rated and you can blow it clean with air and re-use it. Works great but not sure it's made for all brands.

tileguytodd
09-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Sears has a HEPA Filter - Filter cost is alot higher and Overkill for most situations (remodels are perhaps the exception)

Shop vac May be made in the USA but they Cost more for an Inferior product....If you want more money, You had better be at least AS GOOD dont you think??
I'll pay more for an American Product that is of equal or better quality but I will not pay for JUNK and Shop vacs are JUNK!!!

Electrolux used to make a very good quality Commercial Vac.......Lots of stainless steel, Large Motor, Quality design Keeping the dirt and dust Away from the fan.........Bigtime commercial waranty and a price tag in the 800.00 + range.
Problem with them is they last forever but Hoses do not and Hoses cost as much as a new sears wet/dry..........Filter bags cost huge bucksand servicing them was a week or 2 week ordeal IF you had a nearby service center.
For 80 bucks you can buy a New sears 12 gal 5 hp with 2" hose......It'll handle anything we need in the tile business and is compact enough to take along on every job.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917765000P?vName=Tools&cName=Wet-Dry+Vacs&sName=Tank+Style

If I did Jobs like Davy where I was in the same House/Same development all the time, I'd probobly have the 16 on site..........If I towed a tool trailer id have the 16.......If I had an Extended length Van id have the 16...........BUT, the 12 Gal fits a truck bed nicely, tucks in under a tonneu cover and works very well so long as you have the 2" hose!!!

Al Bundified
09-09-2007, 06:26 AM
I have a woodworking shop in our basement & after SWMBO laid down the law about getting a quieter Shop Vac than my old Craftsman, I began doing my homework.

The two quitest Shop Vacs currently made, are the Fein & Festool.

Both have the feature of being able to plug your tools directly into them & when you press the trigger of your tool, these Shop Vacs automatically turn on. When you release the trigger both run a few seconds longer to clear out residual dust in the hose, then turn off.

Both are very stable.

Both are able to use Hepa Filters.

After getting a hands on demo, I decided on the Fein Turbo III. Larger capacity than the Festool & a couple of decibles quieter.

tileguytodd
09-09-2007, 06:56 AM
For 497.00 that Fein should do more than Just vacuum............It should fix lunch and do the damn dishes too!!!

The day I spend as much for a vac as a Tilesaw is the day I have my head examined ROFLMAO

You must make WAY more money than I do AL!!!

Al Bundified
09-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Well I didn't spend $497 on it, got it on sale at WoodCrafters & to be honest, regardless of the price, it's all about keeping SWMBO happy....& my hearing. :shades:

There's also times when I need to hear the pitch / tone of my router, bandsaw, planer, jointer, table saw etc & you just can't do that with any other Shop Vacs. :shrug:

chassis
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I love the 2 gallon Dewalt cordless/corded vacuum. It is relatively light and very portable, just the ticket for small-medium size remodelling projects. Also have a Sears 16 gallon 5hp wet/dry vac. It is very powerful and the tank holds alot of debris. But it is heavy and very bulky. Good for large projects where you have space to store the thing during the project.