Shower door on mosaic glass tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower door on mosaic glass tiles

ros
08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Is it possible to install/screw a shower door on mosaic glass tiles?

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Is this a hypothetical question, or are you asking about an existing shower? If the shower exists, can you share some details about its construction? Ideally, some blocking lumber was installed in anticipation of a shower door.

river-wear
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
It can be tricky 'cause the glass could crack. Probably more of an issue for larger tiles than little mosaics. Some companies install them with a (floor) pivot hinge so the weight goes on the curb instead of the walls.

ros
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
ddmoit,

sorry i wasn't clear. i'm planning to install small glass mosaic tiles in my tub/shower. i had a shower door which was screwed on the old ceramic tile. i just want to make sure that i can still screw it back. i don't think there's any stud behind it. just backerboard. thanks!

river-wear,

any advice on how to install it on tub?

ros

river-wear
08-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Haven't done it myself, sorry. Just read an article when I was researching my project.

Can you add blocking like Dan suggested? If this isn't a heavy frameless thing you probably don't have anything to worry about. I've seen other projects on this board with glass mosaics everywhere, so there must be a way.

Tool Guy - Kg
08-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes you can, and adding blocking if there isn't any like Dan suggested is very ideal. If the shower door has a header frame above it that streches from wall to wall, then blocking isn't anywhere near as important.

Do you already have a spaded glass bit or a diamond drill bit to drill holes through the glass? Though.....you might be able to sneak the actual screws through the grout lines and avoid drilling through a piece of glass.

:)

ros
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Tool Guy - Kg,

I don't have a spade bit yet. I'll try that. Thanks!

ros

ddmoit
08-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I used spade bits to drill through my glass mosaics. Take your time; they'll work fine.

river-wear
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Aha, Dan - you're the one with the really cool Hakatai mosaic shower! I was thinking of your project when I first read the question up top.

Ros, you ought to check this out:
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45394

:D

ddmoit
08-17-2007, 05:32 AM
I do try to watch out for my fellow glass mosaic masochists. :D

For the record, I haven't installed a shower door yet, but I intend to. I'm waiting for the economy to bring my local supplier to his knees, so I can buy at close-out prices.