New here.. Need help with crappy tile job & setter! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New here.. Need help with crappy tile job & setter!

Missy's
08-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Im so glad I found this forum, I need help!!

I hired a friend of mine to re-tile my bathroom and he's doing a really crappy job. He's been laying tile for approx. 10yrs, we never actually saw work he's done but he gave us some refences, I spoke to a few of them and was told he's really good. Knowing he's a really nice guy and after talking to his references we decided to go with him.

The 1st day he layed the tile on the floor, using spacers and it looks great! The 2nd, 3rd and now he's on the 4th day he's been tiling the shower walls and it looks terrible! The tile lines are uneven all over the place, he did it with out using spacers and globbed the thin set on really thick so some pieces of tile are buldging out away from the wall and others are not so thick so they're more flush against the wall. Some of the tile are cut crooked, some spaces are 1/4 inch apart and others are so tight together there is no space at all. I absolutly hate the work he's done in the shower.

I talked to him about it and told him I was concerened the shower was uneven and some of the tiles were close together and some spaced so far apart, there is a gap about 1/2 inch from the tile to the tub in the back and no gap in the front.

He said "dont worry, once I grout you wont notice the lines and it will look really good" and about the 1/2 gap in the back he said "thats because your tub isnt level, I'll grout in the gap and you wont notice it as much"

We'll I've been so upset and unhappy with his job so just now I went into the bathroom with a level and checked the tub. The tub is level, but his lines are not at all.

He keeps saying once he grouts it'll look fine, he's supposed to grout it tomorrow but I feel like telling him no thank you or asking him to redo at least the terribles parts.

Is there anyway he can re-do portions or would it all have to be ripped out?

My husband says we should just let him finish and have to live with the crappy tile. I'd rather have it all re-done and buy new tile and hire someone else it REALLY is that bad. I'd be embarased to have anyone even walk into the bathroom because its that bad and that noticable.

Do I have any options on fixing this tile with my friend, or does it need to all be ripped out? What is a fair compensation for his time (even though is work is crap and needing to be removed)

Im going to talk to him tomorrow so any advice would be really appreciated! :calm: :bonk: :blah:

Sponsored Links

KCT
08-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Pay him for the work you think is done well and tell him to forget about getting paid for what doesn't look good. Be polite but firm, be relaxed. It's your house and your money!

Grout makes things more obvious and hides nothing. Even before grout, the tile should be clean, plumb, and straight and the cut tiles, even along a wall that is out of plumb, can all be even and match with the tiles above and below them. End of story. Good luck!

Scottish Tile and Stone
08-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Lots of guys can set tile on a floor, but they dont have a clue on the walls. Pay him for the floor, and not the shower. In fact, I would have him buy new tile for the shower walls and get someone else to do it.

jod78
08-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah in my unexpert opinion, I also believe grout does not hide misalignment..rather, it makes it more obvious. Now if you bought tile that I call "seconds" some of those will tend to be different sizes. You might have some tiles that are 1/8" or more off from some of the other tiles. So in cases like that it might be impossible to have them all laid 100% in line, but you just use larger grout lies to try and mask that. But aside from that, there's no reason they should not be perfectly inline.

Missy's
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Thank you so much for your replies!

I feel better about my desicion.

Its not only that the tiles arent lined they're cut crooked and some of the gaps between the tiles are 1/4 to 1/2 inch and other tiles are so close together there is no room for grout.

I feel so bad because he's my friend, and Im embarrased to tell him his job is crap (of course I'll put it nicley)

I think I'll compliment him on the floor and tell him I really like how it turned out and tell him Im not happy with the shower and dont want him to finish the job because Im thinking of having it done over then ask how much I owe him for the floor. It's worth a try!! Thanks! :tup2:

Marge
08-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Missy, that sounds like a diplomatic way to handle it. :nod:

Best of luck to you.

JTG
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
You want to get those tile off the wall right away while they will still come off and maybe you can save the whole tile.
Make sure to put protection on the tub so as the tile fall off they don't damage the tub finish.
You might be able to sweet talk him into doing that.
Good Luck
JTG

Missy's
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I have a great update!!

I talked to my friend about the tile job, he was very sorry and said he'd do anything to fix it so I was happy.

He brought another guy with him who works at the same tile co. he works at but said this is our best guy. The guy he brought and I met, he told me what he thought should be done to get it fixed and I agreed. The guy removed about 20 tiles total and reset them. The bathroom looks amazing now!! What a difference, I am now so happy with the tile job and so glad my friend realized he needed to call in re-enforcements to finish/fix his job.

The bathroom looks 1000x's better and Im glad I spoke up and glad he took it well and fixed it.

Thanks for all your advice!

Marge
08-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Glad to hear the good news! :)

So where's our pitchers? :D