New Shower Floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New Shower Floor

Orv101
02-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I am looking at completing a shower floor project. The shower is 50" D x 55" W. The floor is concrete with the drain already installed. There is apporximately a 1/4" per foot slope to the drain. There will be no curb or door installed. Is there any other preparation needed prior to installation? i.e. isolation membrane, shower pan etc.

Thank you for the advice.

Scott

Sponsored Links

e3
02-09-2003, 07:13 PM
The easiest way to do a curbless shower is with a membrane that meets the ansi a-118.10 standard(will be printed on product) also plbg. codes must be met. Check with noble co,lata crete,bostik,mapei, custom. They all have membranes that meet this standard. What this standard is, is the test for thin set load berring bonded waterproffing membranes.

Orv101
02-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks Eric.

Would it be correct to install the membrane and then tile over it? The walls are currently durock set and screwed in thinset over plywood. Should the membrane be applied to the wall area also?

e3
02-09-2003, 07:59 PM
These type's of membranes are made for tiling directly to them. I would also install the membrane up the wall since the cbu is already in place, otherwise water can soak into the cbu and drain behind the pan.

John Bridge
02-09-2003, 08:36 PM
Hello Scott. Welcome. :)

The problem that is usually encountered with surface applied membranes has to do with the drain and how to connect the membrane to it. I only know of one drain that will do the job on the surface, and it's made by Schluter Systems. It's called the Kerdi-drain, and you can check into it at: http://www.schluter.com

Other than that, all the membranes mentioned will do the job. Of course, Schulter has the Kerdi membrane, too. ;)