Test pic [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Test pic

JTG
02-08-2003, 10:15 PM
So I reduce the picture to something like 23.5 kb. I can't see it.
What do I do to reduce the picture and still have it large enough to see?
Jerry

Sponsored Links

davem
02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Hi Jerry,
Saved as a jpg file, you can increase the compression without reducing the size. What software are you using? When you save, most programs have an option (it may be behind an "option" button) to increase compression by reducing quality. For web pictures, try to compress down to about 75% quality, and you should be able to have a decent size picture still.

JTG
02-09-2003, 11:25 PM
I used Ifran view at John's suggestion. In there I find where to reduce the size but it was so small. I could see it in preview but don't see it here?

Also I have tried to email photo's to a friend who has a Mac and he can't open them because he say's they are a win.dat file. If I can find the way to change to jpg that should take care of that. Right?
I'm going to leave here and open a picture and try again.
Thanks
Jerry

JTG
02-09-2003, 11:37 PM
sample picture post

JTG
02-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Now let's see if I can make it bigger.

JTG
02-09-2003, 11:59 PM
one more time tonite

JTG
02-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Ok that is better but the quality of the picture is not that great do you think. I had to take a lot out of it.
Thanks for putting up with this while I learn on the go.
Jerry

IBJT
02-10-2003, 09:47 AM
It takes time to learn. Before you know it you'll be slapping those photos up right and left.

There are several things you can play with to reduce the size.

Resolution: the higher the number the better the quality, the lower the number the size is smaller at some quality loss. For the Internet 72 is a common resolution size.

Dimension, your pic was 270 X 360 pixels. That translates to 270 columns and 360 rows of dots (pixels) that make up the photo. The larger numbers the larget the photo, and the size of the file.

I think Dave already mentioned options for saving a jpg file the compression setting does a lot to reduce the size of the file. One thing I noticed when I saved your picture your file extension was jpeg rather than jpg some programs don't recognize the jpeg but I think all will recognize jpg.

;)

John Bridge
02-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Jerry,

When you get your web site going you can post your pics to the site and then make them appear here through the power of the internet. That way you can post larger pics on our boards without losing quality.

I think you'll get the hang of it, though. jpg (jpeg) is the photo protocol of the Internet, and as has been stated, that format compresses well without losing too much data. Whenever you mess with a picture file, you're going to lose something. The trick is to minimize the loss.

One other thing. The Internet does not support resolutions higher than 78. That's why most of the images you see on the web are around 72 or so.

P.S.

I just remembered something I learned from the dummy book for PhotoShop. If you save the image as a tiff and then reduce it, you lose practically nothing. Then save it as a jpg again. :)