thinset under CBU [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : thinset under CBU

Andrew21
06-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Question,
I need to put down the unmodified thinset under the CBU but need to make it as 'thin' as possible due to height reasons. I wanted to use Ditra but I can't afford it. What trowel size should I use to keep the thinset from globbing up? 1/4x1/4 v notch?

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
06-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Andrew,
A 1/4" notched trowel will work fine, but you'll still want the thinset to be firm enough to comb. For CBU on floors, I prefer 1/4" Hardibacker and that works out to about $.65 per foot. Schluter's DITRA can be found at many Home Despots in 54 square foot rolls for about $1.29 per foot. So, yes it's about twice the cost of Hardibacker but for the average kitchen that works out around $50 extra, which in the grand scale of things is still cheap. What sort of area are you covering? What CBU are you currently planning to use?
Shaughnn

ddmoit
06-22-2007, 07:25 AM
I would gladly pay $50 to avoid having to transport, carry and cut CBU.

Andrew21
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys..

its a 8x8 kitchen. Very small but they wanted about 130 or so for the Ditra. I would have went with it but I can save some money with the CBU. I'm going to use Durock or wonderboard, 1/4 inch.