Which comes first? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first?

lac
02-02-2003, 10:57 PM
I need to know the order in which mortar bed shower floor components are laid. Which comes first? The metal lathe in thickset or the vinyl liner? Does it matter? I've checked the liberry and both ways are shown.
Thanks, lac

Sponsored Links

davem
02-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi lac, welcome. :)
On a wood subfloor, from the bottom up. Tar paper, lath, pre-slope made of deck mud, liner, final mud deck, thinset, tile. Check the link in my signature to look at some pics of most of these steps. :)

cx
02-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Yeah, welcome, lac, give us a first name to pick on you by. :)

Some folks do indeed put some reinforcing mesh in their deck mud also (like Michael Byrne, I think), but you don't hafta. Look at Dave's pichers, he made a fine shower, indeed.

Look also at this site, which is in our Liberry:
http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Now, Harry's a Canuck, but the same methods will work down here in the US of A, too. And his showers are almost as good as Dave's. :p

lac
02-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Thank you Davem and cx,

I love it when the right way also appears to be the easy way. Of course, I've yet to begin this project, so "easy" is a debatable term. Thank you for helping me get my ducks in a row and I'll let you know how they take to the water.
And as long as I've got your attention, I don't need to think about ordering glass and doors until my tile job is complete....right?
Thanks again, lac

P.S.Thanks as well to John Bridge who has single handedly answered all my questions to this point. Gentleman experts are hard to come by. Thank you John.
Laury (here you go cm...give it your best shot!)

John Bridge
02-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi Laury C., Glad you made it. ;)

Folks, Laury lives in what might be described as God's Country (if it weren't for the Pacific Northwest) -- the Eastern Shore of Maryland -- out by the big lake on that part of the Chesapeake that my old friend James Michener depicted as sinking into the ocean. Let's hope it hangs around for a while, eh Laury? :)

lac
02-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Judging from what just happened with my basement, Michener might be right, but I'll take my chances here John! This area is also known as "The Land of Pleasant Living". With the estimate I just got on frameless 3/8 in. glass doors, you might be able to remove the "L" and the tag would still apply!
Thank you John, lac