caulking problems [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : caulking problems

kelsner
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
I finished our bathroom remodel a year ago and have re-caulked the tub 3X already. We've got a plastic tub liner from Re-Bath that a previous owner installed so I worked around it for the retiling. Since it was my first tiling job, I didn't spend enough time cutting the bottom course of tiles accurately around the tub and left a larger gap than I should've b/w the tub deck and shower walls. This gap is enormously difficult to caulk b/c, in addition to its size, there is no real 90 degree angle (there is no real tub deck to speak of and the walls of the tub sort of curve down right from the shower wall). Mistake: I used silicone the first time which I believe made subsequent caulkings with latex/silicone fail prematurely. Anyway I thought I had it right the last time when I cleaned the joint meticulously with razors, scrubbies and every solvent I could think of...clean as a whistle. So I taped the joint and recaulked with tub and tile latex/silicone and it looked great. Even let it cure for 3 days.
When I showered and wiped down the walls with a towel like I always do now (to guarantee no mildew growth on my beautifully grouted shower walls), the caulk still peels off of the ceramic portion of the joint like sunburned skin. When the tub is dry, it feels like it's adhering OK to ceramic. When warm and wet, peels right off. Anyone out there have this experience? Any suggestions for an improved sealant? Adhesive caulk, perhaps?

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Try Hydroment Sanded Grout. Shrinks much less so its good for larger joints.It also seems to stick to anything. :)

gpzrider
01-31-2003, 10:49 PM
if i'm reading correctly; you're talking about the joint between the walls and tub. if so, clean it out once again, and be sure that the area is completely dry ( this is the tough part? ), and use PolySeamSeal tub and tile adhesive caulk (around here, it's available at Lowes' ), and let it dry. You may want to caulk it and wash it for a 'foundation' and then re-caulk over this to 'build' ever so slightly. Be sure to let it dry each time. Good Luck!

Rob Z
01-31-2003, 10:53 PM
Hi Kelsner

Does this tub liner flex when someone is standing in the tub? Some of the liners I have seen flex so much that it is tough for most caulks to handle the movement.