Grout residue blues! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout residue blues!

Fasteddy
01-28-2003, 09:29 PM
I recently grouted 300 sq ft of 12" sq floor tiles using the Custom Building Products Polyblend grout, and have a lot of chaulking in the grout. I understand this is effervesince? of some type. I am assuming the water is high in salts or calcium, and tried their heavy duty cleaner with no results whatsoever. I will be trying the Aquamix acid cleaner tomarrow to hopefully bring better results. Anyway, how can I eliminate this from happening again. I have grouted several thousands of sq ft using their product. Is this just a water problem? Anyone with any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-29-2003, 07:00 AM
Hi Eddy,

Welcome aboard. :)

Grout discoloration is a continual topic around here. We all have problems with it. The temperature of the room and of the floor contributes, as does the amount of water used in the clean-up. Use the search at the top right. You'll find many posts on this issue.

I've had good luck with sulfamic acid. Make sure you saturate the grout joints with water before you begin.

Fasteddy
01-30-2003, 09:45 AM
John,

Thanks for the reply. I found lots of ways to possilbly prevent this in the future on the forum. Sounds like the main things I will do is use distilled water to mix the grout, and use a lot less water for clean up. Thanks again.