Quick question on tiling over tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on tiling over tile

phughes200
01-28-2003, 09:34 AM
I plan on tiling over my existing tile (mosaic set in mud). What is the best way to rough up the surface of the tile. I tried coarse sand paper and it isn't doing much. Thanks.

Philip

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-28-2003, 09:49 AM
You would need a grinding stone to roughen up a floor tile.Fortunatly you have no need of doing so if you use Kerabond/Keralastic from Mapei.It costs a bit more but will save you a ton of dust and labor :)

phughes200
01-28-2003, 10:31 AM
How about Flexbond?

phughes200
01-28-2003, 02:55 PM
I forgot to mention that this is mosiac tile. Do I still need to rough it up?

Jason_Butler
01-28-2003, 04:46 PM
The flexbond is rated for tiling over tile. You need to make sure the existing tile is free of sealing agents and will readily absorb water.

Otherwise, you may need to scarify the surface. I'm not that familiar with Mapei products but if Todd recommends it, it's good to go :D

Jason

phughes200
01-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Jason,

I did use Aquamix Deep Grout cleaner to strip and clean the tile and grout. The tile (mosaic goes not absorb water. I assmume the grout will (I will check this tomorrow). Since I have alot of grout will this work? I haven't been able to find the thinset Todd recommend. Short of a grinder what can I use to scarify the surface if need? I have tried a belt sander with extra coarse (35 grit) paper. Didn't do much. Any other options other than a grinder? Thanks for the info.

Philip