Sealing Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Grout

southc
01-27-2003, 12:30 PM
I have finished installing a ceramic floor in a large bath.
I know to seal the grout in tub and shower enclosures but
was wondering about sealing the grout on the floor. I
suspect this floor will get wet from time to time but not often.
Should I apply some sort of silicone sealer to the floor grout?

Thank for the help.

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Get a product by aquamix . Seal all your grout. The aquamix will last much longer (15 years for the gold) Silicone sealer is really a waste of time, it needs to be redone every year!!
Good Luck!!

ArtKilinski
01-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I used Impregnator 511 on my 2 new bathrooms...walls, floors, showerpan.... According to the datasheet, it's a polymerized silicone. The one I used is not water based BTW. So do I have to reapply every year? Yuck!

So next year, can I just use an Aquamix sealer? Do I have to do any sort of special prep since I already sealed with Impregnator 511?

ArtKilinski
01-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

southc
01-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Art... I took his advice and used the Aquamix Gold. One coat and the water just runs off. I would post another threat (message) if you are looking for an answer to your question.

phughes200
01-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Art,

I sealed my grout with Aquamix Grout Sealer. Now I want to reseal with Aquamix Sealer Choice Gold. I email Aquamix and this was the reply:

"Thank you for the inquiry. It is recommended to remove the Aqua Mix Grout Sealer prior to using the Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice 15 Gold. The Aqua Mix Grout Deep Clean or Sealer & Adhesive Remover could be used to do so. We must add that the Grout Sealer is specifically designed for sealing grout joints around ceramic tile installations. It has two key attributes that that the Sealer's Choice does not that makes it more successful for sealing grout joints. 1) It leaves a thin surface skin. The grout joints will still accumulate dirt requiring periodic scrubbing to clean. This surface skin will help hold the dirt and other contaminants more at the surface level allowing it to be scrubbed off easier. 2) The Grout Sealer has more elasticity which allows it to expand and retract with the grout joint. This is especially key in shower areas where the grout is prone to hot and cold temperatures.
For more detailed information on the product recommended you can obtain the technical bulletins posted on our web-site or contact our technical support team via e-mail or telephone at (800) 366-6877.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve as your "Best Supplier".

sincerely,
Christine K. Verstegen, C.T.C.
Technical Support Team Leader
"

If you have a question email the or call them. They were exrtremely responsive. I got a answer in 24 hours. Now if all companies were that quick life would be good.

Philip

John Bridge
01-31-2003, 07:24 PM
If you use Aquamix "Grout Sealer," it's important to not leave any on the surface of the tiles. It will form a coating that will appear as a smear in certain light -- a mess, in other words. Wipe the tiled surface immediately if you get it on there.

The Sealer's Choice is much more user friendly. ;)

Davy
01-31-2003, 08:33 PM
I have a question for the tile setters out there that also might help a DIYer . What kind of sealer do you like best for sealing grout and is it water based or solvent? I have used Sealers Choice -solvent for years but it is getting harder to find . Everybody wants to sale me water based which seems to dry alot faster.

RandyL
01-31-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm probably wrong but I am positive that I read somewhere (maybe even here) that one option is to not seal the shower floor grout cus the mortar bed needs to breath or something like that. AH Hell .......I don't know what I'm saying..........someone get me out of here!!!!!:bang:

gpzrider
01-31-2003, 09:53 PM
here in South Carolina, all of the Lowe's stores carry the AquaMix line of products. In certain areas, I have seen it at Home Depot at times. They may be able to order it. Be wary of what they say, 'cause most of those 'associates' aren't even sure themselves of what they can and cannot order. AquaMix Sealer's Choice does allow moisture vapor transmission; so it will allow the floor to breathe. I prefer the AquaMix line of products for all of my sealing jobs. Normally, I don't seal my shower floors. Definitely use multiple coats with a 30minute wait time between coats. And pick up some Grout and Tile Cleaner for maintenance ( not the heavy duty version ). Good Luck!

John Bridge
02-01-2003, 02:34 PM
I used to tell people to not seal the shower floor, and I still don't recommend a waterproof sealer.

The newer vapor transmissive sealers do allow evaporation, though.

vatmark
02-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Are you saying that it is best not to seal the shower floor or it's best to seal it but with a vapor transmissive sealer? I just bought the Aquamix grout sealer. You said it can leave smears on the tile if not wiped off. Is it the same for the Sealers Choice or can that get on the tile? I'm thinking maybe to return the grout sealer and go with the Sealers Choice?????? This may sound stupid but what exactly is the point of sealing the shower floor? Is it so it's easier to clean or to prevent water from seeping through the grout or both? What if you never seal it? what would happen? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Ann

John Bridge
02-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Hi Ann,

Sorry it sounds so confusing. Maybe it's because it's coming from a confused mind. :D

Sealing the shower floor with a vapor transmissible sealer such as Sealer's Choice protects the tile and grout form excessive water invasion. But it's not completely waterproof, so it allows water that might otherwise become trapped way down under to get out in the form of evaporation. So yes, sealing the floor is good, with something like Sealer's Choice.

The grout sealer (a lot cheaper than the other) is waterproof. Get it on there right and it'll keep vapor/moisture from passing through in either direction. When that was all that was out there, I advised folks to not seal the shower floor because it would prevent "breathing," -- evaporation via the surface of the floor.

The grout sealer is great on the shower walls, so long as you don't allow it to dwell on the surface of the tiles. Wipe it on tile and grout and immediately wipe off the surface with paper towels or clean rags.

vatmark
02-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Okay, I get it now. Thanks! How long should I let my shower dry out before proceeding with the sealing?

Ann