merging bath enc. & shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : merging bath enc. & shower

elodublin
01-27-2003, 11:07 AM
It started as replacing a faucet. I'm now down to 2x4s and plywood. I have nothing left to tear out and so now have to think about what I'm putting in. Too bad - I enjoyed the crowbar.

After reading John & Michael's books, and the Forum for a couple of weeks now, I'm planning a mortared floor show and ceramic tile on two & 1/2 walls, with a hinged door and 1/2 wall seamless glass. The 1/2 glass wall will butt up against the tub enclosure. I will try to attach a picture similar to what I hope my setup will look like when it is finished a week or two from now, or by the superbowl. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I progress, but here's a couple to start.

How do I waterproof the wall against the tub? I'm planning a wall about 48" from an outside wall, about 36" in height (though this is flexible), and the width of a 2x6 plus CBB+tile (could be wider). The glass will sit on this short wall. Since the top of the wall will be partially in the shower (on one side of the glass), and partially out (on the other side), is this a sure leak site?
If I slope the top of the short wall towards the shower, how much angle will I need?
Can I use 6 mil poly vapor barrier underneath the CBB here, or is felt the better choice?
Wunderboard or Durock or Hardibacker? Hardibacker is lighter and seems easiest to work with.
Thanks for your expertise.
Ed

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Your situation really calls for a SAM (surface applied Membrane (as oppose to the missle) ;) Nobleseal,Prored 963 by C-cure are a couple of choices. Even with the waterproofing a slope is a good idea and with the shower head directed towards this area I would definitly look at 1/4" to the foot for a pitch.
The 6 mil poly vapor barrier is a good choice for a vapor barrier.
As far as Hardibacker goes.While it is lighter I am still not comfortable with the product for wet areas. I Know from experiance that durock and wonderboard will hold up. Utilicrete is another good choice.All these have 1 thing in common. They are a true cement backer board.Remember to use 1/2" on your walls as 1/4" is not suitable. Have fun.and trust me crow bars do get old after youve used them a few years :D

John Bridge
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Ed,

I agree with Todd about using the "SAM." ;)

Laticrete sells a small unit at Lowes that will do the job. The other stuff is sold in larger, more expensive units.

Laticrete floor and wall water-tight. I think. :)

About fifty bucks.