Tiling around the lip of a jetted tub [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling around the lip of a jetted tub

tada52
01-27-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm installing a jetted tub, and my wife would like the lip of the tub "set" into the tile. I will set the tub on the plywood deck, install CBU on top of the plywood, set the tile and grout it, with the tub lip now buried in the tile.

Is this OK to do, or do I have to set the lip of the tub on fininshed tile and then seal it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 10:01 AM
I think you may find trying to get a good finished look difficult with what you are proposing. I would put the tub on top of the tile and run a caulk joint (very small). I am not saying it cant be done, I am suggesting you cansider the alternative.Regardless of how you set your tile/tub you will need to use a caulk bead.
Good Luck!!

John Bridge
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Tom, Welcome. :)

I agree with Todd. If you're using a plastic tub I think it's important to have the tub on top of the tiles. Those tubs can flex and move around a bit at the rim. I wouldn't want mine buried in the tile.

Frankie
01-30-2003, 10:46 AM
For what it's worth.......

Sounds to me like you are trying to minimize the tub lip detail. Many of the Arch's I work with ask for the same thing. Our solution is to bury the whole thing...........meaning:

We install marble or granite top on the built-up deck within which is burried the tub lip. If the budget is there, we try to use one single slab with a polished cutout - kinda like an undermount sink cutout in a kitchen countertop. Otherwise it's four peices of slab. They are contoured/ scribed to the shape of the tub and overlayed by about 3/8". You don't want too much of an overlay. Too much makes soaking uncomfortable - the slab will hit your shoulders or neck, and promote scum growth. Make a template first - full thickness and sit in the tub to test it out.

This is thinsetted onto the cement board and where the slab touches the tub lip we apply a bead of 100% silicone (Bath with the mildicide). Be sure to use enough (it behaves as an expansion joint if the tub "flexes") and to mask the slab and tub side. Once you have tooled the joint take the tape off immediately.

You can minimize flex if you set the tub in a pile of Structo-Lite (USG purelated plaster). It gives a sound and uniform foundation/ seat for the tub. A good heat mass source also. Fill the tub a bit hotter than norm and the heat it soaks up will help maintain temp while soaking. Don't use sand mix for this. It has a tendancy to pull away from the tub when it dries, and takes too long to dry.

That's my $0.02.

Rob Z
01-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi tom

I usually tile under the tub, as well. We did do one tub where the pieces of stone overlapped the edge of the tub, creating the undermount effect that Frankie described. I set all tubs in mortar, but haven't experienced slow curing or any other problems. A good bed of cement mud makes a very solid base for a tub.

tada52
01-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for you answers, I appreciate them. But, I'm not really trying for an "undersink" type mounting. Instead, I was looking for a way to do the finish plumbing (setting the tub, connecting the drain and overflow, plumbing the faucets, etc) before the tiling. This is my first remodel and I would have felt better just mounting the tub (in a bed or mortar) while it was still in the framing stage, and then laying the tile afterward.

Tom

Rob Z
01-31-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi Tom

If you want to set the tub before tiling, then make sure to allow for the thickness of the materials that will go under the lip of the tub. Then, allow just a bit more for caulk. The underside of the tub lip will ideally end up about 1/8" above the finished tile surface. It's a real setback to have to use a dremel to grind away part of the underside of the lip of a tub so that tile will slide under it . :bang:

tada52
01-31-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm going to go ahead and tile first. It just sounds like the easiest and the right way to go. Thank you all again.

Tom