big fat grouts! What to use? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : big fat grouts! What to use?

a.dana
01-26-2003, 09:03 PM
I am installing irregular shaped porcelain tiles. Because of their irregularity, when placed together such that a 1/4 gap is the most narrow, they are 1/2 in apart in other places. Corner to corner, a gap of 1 in sometimes occurs on the more rounded tiles.

The sanded grout I see available is for gaps up to 1/4 in.

For gaps 1/2 to 1 in, Michael Byrne's book recommends making your own grout using "all purpose sand". Is this the way to go? Or is something available I can buy?

If I must make my own grout, where can I get good instructions? If it difficult or possible to add color as well?

Sponsored Links

K_Tile
01-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Laticrete 2500 series grout was developed for grout joints 1/2" up 1-1/4".

a.dana
01-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Seems like everything I look for is hard to find!

Lowe's has stopped carrying Laticrete! (Why?)

Custom has a grout for Saltillo that works up to 1.25 ". Would that work with porcelain?

The Laticrete sound more high-tech, with try-poly something additives. Is it worth tracking down? Anyone know where to find it in Dallas?

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Try Building Plastics Inc 2250 LBJ Freeway Dallas (800-362-7240)
Or Dal Tile International Store #145Fort worth Texas
(817)332-4161

flatfloor
01-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Moving man is here! :)

Off to Tile advice forum.

a.dana
01-27-2003, 05:29 PM
I really seem to be hitting a brick wall trying to get Laticrete.

Either I get "we don't sell to the public" or they don't carry Laticrete even from BPI and Dal-tile as suggested.

My tile will have a kind of rustic quality and I would like the grout to be the same. Would the Custom Saltillo grout work with porcelain? Would it hold up as well as the Laticrete with the try-poly stuff?

I will still try calling Laticrete directly.

Thanks for the help!

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Perhaps someone should inform Laticrete that thier dealers are no longer dealers :)

OK one last resort.Get Hydroment Brand Floor grout. Use no addative,Let the grout set up tight, scrape excess off with an epoxy float.Then wash as normal.If laticrete isnt available Hydroment always saves the day :)

a.dana
01-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Ok, I cannot reach laticrete at all. Email returns undeliverable and phone calls never reach a human.

So where can I get hydroment? The hydroment website is very unfriendly; I cannot find grout info or any distributor lists. :(

I guess the Custom Saltillo grout would not be appropriate?

John Bridge
01-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Hi a.dana,

Hey, give us a first name, will ya? :) Also tell us where you are located.

You might be able to use regular sanded tile grout. Do it once and see how it goes. If it checks/cracks, go over it again.

Let us know where you are, and we'll try to rattle Laticrete's chain for you. :)

a.dana
01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Hello,

My first name is Aaron and I am in Dallas.

Finally got a laticrete rep who emailed me a new number to try, Select Floors. I called them and they say they don't sell laticrete either, they sell Custom!!

I emailed him back and we shall see. (He also said grout 2500 has been replaced by 1500. )

Again, does no one think the Custom Saltillo grout would not be appropriate?

Thanks for the responses!

a.dana
01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Hey, I just got the following email from the laticrete rep:

"You CAN use our 1500 series grout for joints up to 1" but you will need
to add 8 lbs. of 60 mesh silica sand per 25 lb. bag of grout. You might
get this at the hardware store or stone yard.

We no longer manufacture the 2500 series."

If this is true, then is it worth it to track down laticrete as opposed to any other brand of grout? Should/Can I follow this procedure with another more available brand such as Custom?

tileguytodd
01-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I would think so,but am not positive. The extra sand should allow for less shrinkage .Keep the grout moist while it is curing by damp mopping it a couple times per day to keep moisture in it. This will also halp with the larger joints.

a.dana
01-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Can I use the Custom Saltillo Grout Mix with porcelain?

It is specified for grout widths up to 1.25".

Has anyone here used it?

tileguytodd
01-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Perhaps John has used it. Saltillo of course is quite porous while porcelain is not.Hang tight, john will be in before long. :)

a.dana
01-30-2003, 10:07 AM
No one has worked with Custom Satillo Grout? :(

Wondering if I can use it with porcelain for 1/2" to 1" grout widths.

Or do I need to add sand to some normal grout as the Laticrete rep directed?

John Bridge
01-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Hi Aaron,

When I grout Saltillo, I use masonry sand and cement. The bagged grouts are too expensive. You can make your own grout also. Use fairly fine masonry sand (from a masonry supply or a soil yard) and portland cement. That will give you a course gray grout. If you want a color, you can sue white portland cement and add a masonry color pigment. Go that route, and forget all the high-tech stuff. :)

Oh, the recipe is 1 cement to 4 sand. Color to taste. :)

a.dana
01-31-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks!

I will try this.

Just have to find that sand.

John Bridge
01-31-2003, 07:14 PM
Aaron,

You can also use course silica. Costs more, but it's uniform. You can get that at a good masonry supply.

gpzrider
01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
The Custom Saltillo grouts are usually available in about four colors at Home Depot - sahara tan, quarry red, some type of white, and a natural gray. They are available in 50lb bags and less expensive than their line of 25lb bags of Polyblend grouts. I've used them on quarry tiles and others with success.