Backer Board Temp [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Backer Board Temp

Minnesota Man
01-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I am getting close to start tiling my bathroom. Great site. Already received many answers to my questions. Two that I have not found are:

1. How cold can the backerboard be when I start to tile (wall and floor)? Here in Minnesota it has been cold (below zero) and my bathroom has been without direct heat (heat flows from other rooms, but I have tken out the radiator. The walls are cold to the touch and likely get colder at night. Below my bathroom is a crawl space with a dirt floor.

2. How flush do the backerboard screws need to be? I have installed hardi backerboard.

Thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-26-2003, 03:49 PM
I looked at the Hardi website for limitations on temperature at the the time of install. None were listed. As long as you leave expansion joints ( roughly an 1/8") between the sheets I see no reason to be concern about the temperature.

Keep in mind the thinset will take longer to set in cold weather ( as opposed to our Texas heat)

As for the screws, they should flush or countersunk. This is difficult with Hardibacker. I prefer galvanized roofing nails. They go in faster and sink alot easier than screws

Jason

davem
01-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Speaking of which, I just saw some hot dipped galv roofing nails at a Sears Hardware yesterday. :)

JC
01-26-2003, 07:20 PM
I would heat the room up to temperature....normal room conditions.

Thats probably the best thing...most all products should "acclimatized" to the room temperature...But then again I don't think the sky will fall...but hey you never know.

Dave Gobis
01-26-2003, 08:51 PM
You won't find a temp limitation on the board because it is on the setting materials, 50 degrees and rising. At that, it will be days before anything sets.

John Bridge
01-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Minnesota, :)

I'm gonna tell you like I tell all the rest. Move south, young man, move south! ;)

tileguytodd
01-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Move South?? And give up our lovely 3 day summers!!! Never!!!!! :D

Beg or borrow a space heater.You'll be more comfortable doing this job and not have a tendancy to rush through it due to shivers and frostbite. Trust me on this, i probobly live further north than you.Actually i probobly live further north than everybody!! ;)